When you hear “rum,” the first thing that jumps to mind is probably a distressed Johnny Depp. Then your thoughts might wander to some failed mixed drinks you’ve tried to model off of rum and coke, that eggnog you had one time that was way too heavily spiked and the weird spelling of “daiquiri.” However, this sweet spirit can do so much more when taken out of the bar and into the kitchen. Try these creative rum recipes to discover the delicious versatility of this Caribbean liquor.

Pregame-Friendly Appetizers

Brie with Spiced Rum Cranberry Compote

rum

Photo courtesy of hungrycouplenyc.com

Keep it classy with this elegant hor d’oeuvre from Hungry Couple NYC. Nothing screams sophistication like slurring while eating melted cheese.

Piña Colada Guacamole Bruschetta

rum

Photo courtesy of healingtomato.com

If you’re in need of party favors, skip the chips and store-bought salsa and opt for these vegetarian bruschetta instead. The hint of rum in the guacamole is just enough to give these relatively healthy toasts a zesty edge.

Spicy Pulled Pork Sliders

rum

Photo courtesy of tattooedmartha.com

Tattooed Martha’s recipe for rum-infused BBQ pulled pork will make your mouth water no matter how you serve it, but we recommend these fiery little sandwiches.

Caribbean Glazed Chicken Wings

rum

Photo courtesy of sweetnicks.com

Don’t let the simple glaze and rub ingredients fool you: this finger-lickin’ chicken is sure to impress even the most die-hard Wings Over Rochester fan.

Boozy Brunch Fare

Cinnamon Rolls with Rum Butter Caramel Sauce

rum

Photo courtesy of supergoldenbakes.com

Skip the Cinnabon and indulge yourself in an entirely new way with these boozy rolls by Lucy from Supergolden Bakes.

Coconut Banana Bread

rum

Photo courtesy of mybakingaddiction.com

Forget your mom’s tried-and-true banana bread recipe. Jamie from My Baking Addiction shows you how to kick the brunch staple up a notch with just a cup of shredded coconut and 3 tablespoons of rum.

Eggnog Rum Bread

rum

Photo courtesy of unihomemaker.com

Rum isn’t only good for tropical summer vibes. In the cold of perpetual winter, this holiday treat offers the welcomingly warm spice of rum and cinnamon.

Drunken Desserts

Chocolate Fudge Rum Balls

rum

Photo courtesy of bakedbyanintrovert.com

When a third of your ingredients are different types of alcohol, you know you’ve got a good recipe. All that these fudgey, no-bake delicacies require are cookies, pecans, sweeteners and liquors – and a good deal of self-restraint not to devour them in one sitting.

Rum and Coke Cupcakes

rum

Photo courtesy of macandmolly.com

The classic college cocktail becomes an adorable dessert with Mac and Molly’s recipe.

Pineapple Foster

rum

Photo courtesy of gimmesomeoven.com

In case flambéing bananas is a bit daunting, try the simplified, pineapple version of the sugary American standard.

Coffee-Rum Milkshake with Chocolate-Covered Coffee Beans

rum

Photo courtesy of acozykitchen.com

This delectable concoction will satisfy your sweet tooth, give you a jolt of caffeine and raise your BAC just a smidge. If you don’t feel like making ice cream and whipped cream from scratch, feel free to go store-bought and just follow the milkshake assembly.

Apple or Pumpkin Pie Jello Shots

rum

Photo courtesy of thewateringmouth.com

No booze recipe roundup would be complete without edible shots, and these mini pies are definitely worth the effort.

Still thirsty (and hungry)?
Boozy Chocolate Rum Cake That Will Almost Get You Buzzed
25 Devilishly Delicious Boozy Desserts
Pudding Shots that are Perfect for Fall
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Beer Bread
Beer Mac n Cheese