It’s the ultimate drunk food, the go-to quick meal for college students. It can be gourmet or $5. With so many options, there is nothing to not love about pizza. As an ode to our favorite food, here are 12 fun facts that are essential for all pizza lovers to know.
1. Pizza eaters consume about 251,770,000-lbs. of pepperoni every year.
2. Pepperoni is also the most popular topping and is included on 36% of all pizza orders.
3. Approximately 93% of Americans eat pizza at least once a month.
4. October is national pizza month in the U.S.
5. There are approximately 3 billion pizzas sold in the U.S. each year.
6. Each American eats about 46 slices of pizza annually.
7. Pizza makes up more than 10% of all food service sales in the U.S.
8. About 1 in 8 Americans eats pizza any given day.
9. The most expensive pizza in the world costs approximately $12,000. The chef comes to your house to make it, and it includes three types of caviar, red prawns, Mediterranean lobster and sea cicada.
10. In 2014, a delivery guy received a tip of $1,268.
11. Americans eat approximately 100 acres of pizza each day.
12. There are approximately 67,000 pizzerias in the U.S.
Hungry for pizza now? Check out these recipes to satisfy the craving:
- Goat Cheese & Arugula Pesto Pizza
- Gluten-Free Artichoke, Spinach and Tomato Pizza
- Personal Whole Wheat Pita Pizza