Living with housemates can be one of the best experiences to have, but it’s not all just fun and games. Learning to respect and accommodate others is one of the many hard responsibilities that come with living with other people. It is a skill that takes a lot of time and the process can be extremely frustrating.

Here are 11 struggles inevitable to happen when sharing a kitchen with housemates:

Having to Share Food

housemates

Just because you make 7 dumplings doesn’t mean you get to eat 7 dumplings. A lesson you learn is to always make extra for housemates. Just remember this simple rule: For every dumpling you make is a dumpling for your housemates!

Having the Parents Visit

housemates

You know that you and your housemates live in a pigsty, but your parents don’t need to know this fact. The kitchen will have to be extensively cleaned the day before parents come in order to show them what clean, responsible college students you guys are.

Taking Out the Trash

housemates

The day everyone looks least forward to. Once a week, it takes a team effort to lug out all the trash. It’s heavy and stinky and the more housemates you have the more garbage there is to take out. To learn how to a simple trick that makes taking out the trash easier, check out this article.

The Cookie Jar Thief

housemates

So you’re about to prepare yourself breakfast when you realize you’re out of eggs. When living with housemates food is bound to go missing. When a dumpling or a carrot disappears you may be cool with it, after all, you don’t want to start a fight over a measly carrot, but when basic necessities vanish things start to get serious.

Overcrowded Space

housemates

The washroom isn’t the only space that gets crowded. The kitchen can only hold so many people comfortably, and you may end up having to wait your turn to cook.

Learning How to Trash Can Stack

housemates

The number one golden rule all housemates seem to know without even agreeing upon it: Whoever can’t stack any more trash has to take the garbage bag out, this isn’t Jenga people.

And Sink Stack

housemates

No one has the time to wash their dishes after every meal. Things start to stack up and before you know it there’s a huge pile of dirty dishes in the sink. If only dishes would wash themselves. Try being creative and finding cleaver cleaning hacks.

Just Constant Stacking

housemates

The constant stacking of trash, dishes, food in the fridge. By the end of your 4 years at university you could graduate with a degree in stacking.

Having Different Definitions of Clean

housemates

Especially for the clean freaks out there, no one will ever amount to your definition of clean. So do your part, clean up after yourself, and help lessen the mess around the house. If you can’t lick the counter then it’s not clean.

When Cooking Goes Wrong

housemates

Dear housemates, you are not Gordon Ramsey. Stop taking random ingredients and hoping it turns out great because it won’t. Lingering odors are not great.

Running Out of Alcohol

housemates

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and most importantly, hide yo alcohol. There will be nights when your vodka seems to be watered down every so slightly.