This weekend, 23-24 April 2016, celebrates the 400th death anniversary of probably the greatest dramatist that has ever walked the stage, William Shakespeare.

As David Cameron mentioned in an article, one of the most beautiful things about dear old Billy Shakes is that his words, his plot and his characters live on long after he was finished with them on stage. They come alive in a different context and fit in just as perfectly and comfortably as they did in the sixteenth century Elizabethan stage context.

Words like “dishearten”and “addiction”, phrases like “heart of gold”, and the all-time favourite “to be or not to be” have all passed into our language and culture today with no need of reference their original context. So as a tribute to this brilliant man Spoon comes up with another nostalgic piece commemorating the work of none other than William Shakespeare. To showcase the uniqueness and versatility of his words we put him in our favourite context (that is, food) and leave you to marvel at the ease with which he settle in here too.

This is for all those hours spent reading Shakespeare and trying to make sense of it, this is for the man who continues to inspire people even 400 years after he died. This is for the “Bard” who ate.

Antony & Cleopatra – Act I, Scene I

Shakespeare

Photo by Devika

Much Ado About Nothing Act II, Scene I

Shakespeare

Photo by Devika

A Midsummer Nights Dream Act I, Scene I

Shakespeare

Photo by Devika

The Tempest Act III, Scene I

Shakespeare

Photo by Devika

The Two Gentlemen of Verona Act III, Scene I

Shakespeare

Photo by Devika

As You Like It Act III, Scene IV

Shakespeare

Photo by Devika

Twelfth Night Act III, Scene I

Shakespeare

Photo by Devika

Henry IV Part 2 Act III, Scene II

Shakespeare

Photo by Devika

Romeo Juliet – Act V, Scene III

Shakespeare

Photo by Devika

Taming of the Shrew – Induction, Scene I

Shakespeare

Photo by Devika

Macbeth – Act III, Scene II

Shakespeare

Photo by Devika