I'm a major cereal enthusiast. Every morning, I kick off my day with a hearty bowl of Golden Grahams or Lucky Charms. This morning, however, as I munched on my delicious cereal, I wondered if I was actually getting the nutrition I needed to take on the day from this sugary bowl of cereal. With some serious questions forming in my head, I needed to investigate. The American Heart Association recommends a maximum of 6 teaspoons (25 grams) of added sugar per day for females, or 9 teaspoons (38 grams) for males. 

Most of the cereals in the supermarket contain more than half the recommended daily sugar intake for women in just one serving. Unfortunately, some of my favorites made the list of the most unhealthy cereals. That being said, here are the worst cereals you can buy, based on their nutritional value and sugar content.

1. Honey Smacks

To kick off the list, one of the worst cereals that I discovered is Kellogg's Honey Smacks. One serving of this cereal may only be 110 calories, but there's a whopping 16 grams of sugar in it. Not to mention, there's only 1 gram of fiber and only 2 grams of protein. The cereal also contains trans fats, which can increase your risk of developing heart disease, stroke, or diabetes. Oh, and this cereal is 55 percent sugar in weight

2. Trix

I'm not sure which I liked more: the actual Trix cereal or those hilarious commercials featuring the beloved rabbit. Regardless, this cereal is loaded with 10 grams of sugar per 1 cup serving. Trix also contains high-fructose corn syrup, which is often linked to a higher risk of obesity.

3. Cinnamon Toast Crunch

A personal favorite of mine, Cinnamon Toast Crunch tops the list with 9 grams of sugar and 130 calories only ¾ of a cup. This cereal also contains 3 grams of fat and very little protein or fiber.

4. Oreo O's

chocolate, sweet, candy, coffee, milk, cream, goody
Arden Sarner

It’s not completely hard to believe that a cereal named after a cookie is not the healthiest option for breakfast. This cereal is pretty unhealthy, with 13 grams of sugar. Maybe you should just stick to regular Oreo cookies as a once in a while treat. 

5. Cocoa Krispies

Cocoa Krispies is an ode to my childhood breakfasts. Unfortunately, 3/4 cup of this chocolatey cereal contains 120 calories with 12 grams of sugar. With no fiber and just 1 gram of protein, this cereal presents a consumer with limited nutritional value.

6. Fruit Loops

corn, sweet, cereal, candy
Kristine Mahan

Kellogg’s Fruit Loops are 44 percent sugar by weight, with 12 grams per serving. The cereal also contains partially hydrogenated oils, a source of trans fats. For those reasons, it's best to stay away from this colorful, fruity cereal. 

7. Raisin Bran

Shockingly, this supposedly-healthy cereal actually contains some of the most sugar of all the cereals on the list. With a whopping 18 grams of sugar per cup, Raisin Bran also is higher in calories and contains high-fructose corn syrup. What puts it lower on the list, however, is its 7 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein.

8. Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles

candy
Katie Walsh

Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles are tied at the eighth spot on this list of the worst cereals for you. You might prefer one over the other, but both of these cereals are not the healthiest. They contain 9 and 10 grams of sugar per serving, respectively. Lay off the Pebbles, guys. 

9. Lucky Charms

cream, sprinkles, candy, cake, chocolate, ice
Jayna Goldstein

Unsurprisingly, General Mill’s famous marshmallow-filled cereal makes the list of the worst cereals. Just 3/4 cup of Lucky Charms contains 110 calories, 10 grams of sugar, just 2 grams of fiber and protein each. Although this cereal has no trans fats or high fructose corn syrup, it should not be consumed on the regular.

10. Frosted Flakes

10 grams of sugar and a serious lack of fiber and protein place this favorite on the list of worst cereals. I know, Tony the Tiger is just as disappointed as both you and I are. Frosted Flakes is a tried-and-true breakfast staple for most children. It's a sad day to see this box of cereal on the list. 

My research showed me that most of my favorite cereals I grew up eating don't exactly provide much nutritional value. Perhaps we should view these sugary cereals as more of an occasional treat, rather than a daily breakfast. There are certainly better, healthier ways to start your mornings.