As I lay here in my Eno hammock in a place not quite as beautiful as Boone, I reflect on all the things I will be deprived of this summer. We complain, suffer and curse the winters when we return for second semester but without pain we wouldn’t know joy. Boone is near and dear to all of our hearts and the months away are hard to handle. There are countless different things that make Boone so magical and everyone would have a different list, but we all know the staples. What you are about to read has the potential to bring up some raw emotions but might help calm the separation anxiety.

1. Star Gazing on the Parkway

Boone

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

The immense beauty that we are surrounded by does not completely disappear at night and you can see more stars than you ever would imagine. You can see for miles and the view of the constellations will never compare anywhere else. The lack of light and life on the parkway makes for the perfect way to spend an evening with friends or loved one.

2. Hiking

Boone

Photo by Elizabeth Faile

Us Boonies understand the importance of our planet and we sure know how to use our natural resources. There are too many trails, waterfalls and rivers to list off that we can pick from to spend the day. Rough Ridge is the basic bitch hike for an Appalachian student but this drop ain’t no joke either. The views that you can see from the peaks of the Blue Ridge Mountains are indescribable.

3. Cilantro’s

Boone

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

This restaurant was bought to us by the gods, or it tastes like it at least.  You can always go into Cilantro’s and have an amazing experience; their staff is unlike any other.  We all know the man who makes it impossible to grab your check, or the extreme way they sing you happy birthday. These guys know Mexican food and just typing this is making my mouth water for an ACP.

4. Comeback Shack

Boone

Photo by Ellie Zumstein

Out of all the places to grab a quick bite to eat Comeback Shack is where we head. This local gem is a part of all diets when we are in Boone but that’s what makes it so special. I wish I could bring this place to Cornelius with me but I know it’s waiting for me back home.

5. Singing Karaoke at Galileo’s

Boone

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

We know there are certain places to go on the weekends but Galileo’s is where you should go for a good time. Perfect for a GNO or a place to go watch drunk people belt out in their beautiful voices.

6. Calling For A Beeper

Boone

Oh wait but does anyone miss that?

7. Picnic on the Parkway

Boone

Photo by Elizabeth Faile

The best way to spend a Saturday or any time off of school should include a picnic on the parkway. There are many ways to enjoy the parkway and a picnic is a wonderful way to take in it’s beauty. Take your bae, take your friends, or take your dog they will all be wonderful company.

8. Enoing

Boone

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Every single App student should own a Eno Hammock because it’s the best way to kill a few hours between classes. The calming mountain breeze will gently swing you back and forth making it a very relaxing cocoon to be in. One minute on Sandford on a pretty day and you’ll see a whole colony of them in the big trees.

9. Sanford Mall

Boone

Photo courtesy of studentconduct.appstate.edu

This place is like a zoo where all the different species of App students are on display for families and fellow students to see. You have your slackliners, enoers, bros throwing the football, gal pals laying on the hill and if you’re lucky a happy dog running around.  This is the best part of the transition from winter to spring because we all emerge from our holes to bask in the sun on Sanford.

10. Espresso News

Boone

Photo courtesy of Madison Weidman

The coffee, the atmosphere and the people are what make this place so damn missable.

Bonus: Your People

Boone

Photo courtesy of Alexis Rhodes

The thing we all miss the most are our friends. The relationships we have built over the last few years are ones for a lifetime. Without your friends the things listed above wouldn’t be half as interesting and honestly college wouldn’t be the same. Having a mutual love for Boone is how you bond with one another and how you survive through the winter.  You can thank the town of Boone for these people who accept you at your best and help you through your worst.  

As this list is far from complete because how does one put into words a love that is indescribable. This place has gone from a home away from home to my real home. To those who have yet to experience this beautiful land please make a visit one day. And to those who call this place home, we will be back soon Boone promise.

Boone

Photo by Elizabeth Faile