Morocco is one of the coolest countries I have ever been to. The people, the architecture, the food… Oh, the food. Honestly, we don’t get enough exposure to Moroccan food. Sure, we’ve got couscous in our supermarkets, but that aside, what other Moroccan food have you actually tried? Because I’m telling you, you’re missing out.

Influenced over thousands of years by various civilizations, today’s Moroccan food is an exciting blend of spices and textures. A mix of Mediterranean, Arabic, Andalusian, and Berber, there’s seriously something to love for everybody.

Here’s the stuff you have got to eat while in Morocco:

1. Tangine

I thought the most popular dish in Morocco would be couscous, considering it’s international popularity. Actually, I think Moroccans eat more tangine than anything else. Although it’s really quite simple to create as a dish, tangine has yet to gain international popularity, and so, it remains one of Morocco’s best kept secrets. You can find it from cheap cafes to Michelin starred restaurants. Historically named after the clay cooking pot it’s cooked in, the dish is a slow-cooked stew that can come with chicken, lamb, beef, fish, or just veggies. And oh, yeah, it’s really, really good.

2. Couscous

Now, in contrast to the tangine, if you haven’t heard of couscous, you’ve definitely been living beneath the proverbial rock. A fine wheat pasta traditionally rolled by hand, it’s steamed like rice in a pyramid along with meat or veggies. Berbers traditionally put in raisins, a really cool and delicious addition. Expect to be served a massive portion you won’t come close to finishing, and expect to leave in a food coma.

3. Moroccan green tea with mint

No one actually knows how much sugar Moroccans put into their mint green tea (your tea generally will come already sugared), but it’s a lot. Most often served as a dessert after meals, and also a common sight in hammam tea rooms, Moroccan green tea with mint is borderline addictive. You can pick up some of this stuff to take home with you for relatively cheap at many small shops and pharmacies, and trust me, you’ll definitely want to take some of this home. For some reason, there’s just nothing that compares to a warm sugary Moroccan mint tea. Nothing.

4. Pastilla (B’stilla)

Originating from the city of Fez, pastilla is a fantastic pastry with pigeon meat (yup, you heard me right, but don’t get grossed out — it’s really good), almonds, eggs with saffron, cinnamon, fresh coriander, and is entirely dusted with sugar and cinnamon. So don’t let the pigeon frighten you. This pastry is absolutely exceptional.

5. Brochettes

Basically kebabs, brochettes are found on almost every street corner. Most often lamb or beef, brochettes are a fixture food in most Moroccan diets and a staple at almost every single local Moroccan market. Grab one to go if you get hungry while shopping at some of Morocco’s fantastic markets.

6. Harira

من #التراث_المغربي وصفة #الحريرة من @بسمة درغام !! جربوها ولا تنسوا #likes #شوربات #soup #harira #moroccancuisine #morocco المكوّنات: 2 صدر دجاج مسلوق ومقطع 4 شرائح ديك رومي 4 شرائح روست بيف 1/4 كوب بندورة كرزية 1/4 حبة فلفل أحمر/أصفر/أخضر مقطع شرائح 1/4 كوب جبنة تشيدر مقطعة مربعات 4 شرائح جبنة سويسرية رأس خس آيسبيرغ 1/4 كوب ساور كريم 1/4 كوب مايونيز 2 بيض مسلوق مقطع شرائح خلطة أعشاب مجففة(روزماري/نعنع ناشف/زعتر ناشف) 1 ملعقة كبيرة بودرة البصل طريقة التحضير: لتحضير صلصة الرانش: في وعاء نضيف المايونيز والساور كريم وبودرة البصل وخليط الأعشاب والفلفل الأسود والملح ونقلبهم. لتحضير السلطة: نضع شرائح البيض فوق الخس, نضيف البندورة والفليفلة, ثم شرائح الروست بيف وشرائح الديك الرومي, ثم قطع الدجاج وجبنة التشيدر والخس وشرائح الجبنة السويسرية. وتقدم مع الصلصة

A photo posted by Atbaki (@atbakiapp) on

A traditional North African soup (found predominantly in Algeria and Morocco), harira is usually made up of lamb or chicken. During Ramadan, it’s served to break the fast, and during other times, it’s generally served as a starter. However, being really thick, it can be filling enough to count for an entire meal. And it’s really inexpensive for backpackers who can’t afford much more.

7. Almond Snake Pastry (M’hancha)

Don’t worry, there’s not actually snake in here. The name comes from the coil-like appearance of the pastry, which is basically the North African, almond cousin of the cinnamon roll. And who doesn’t like cinnamon rolls? Moroccans typically make massive sized m’hanchas for family gatherings (seriously, these things can get super big) and guests enjoy it by breaking off small portions of the roll. Oh, also, if you want something to dip it in, order m’hancha in conjunction with #8 on this list.

8. Amlou Dip

So, one big thing. If you go to Morocco, you’re going to see argan oil for really cheap, everywhere. Ask any girl and she’ll tell you argan oil is literally miracle stuff for your hair (eek, those pesky split ends) and dry skin. But we don’t really eat argan oil, do we? Well, in Morocco, the land of argan, they do. And it’s super tasty.

Made from toasted almonds, argan oil, and honey, and served at breakfast and tea time, it’s a seriously healthy and delicious way to start a day.

#SpoonTip: if you want to make this stuff at home, make sure to buy culinary argan oil, not cosmetic.

9. Khobz

I. Love. Bread. Bread is so interesting to me because everywhere I go, people do bread differently. Chinese love bread in the form of sweet, soft pastries. The French bake them into crispy baguettes. The Italians wider ciabattas. The Spanish bake them in with olives. The Ecuadorians favor doughy, phyllo-esque breads. Point is, most cultures have bread, but every culture does bread differently. Similarly, Moroccan bread is truly a breed of its own. Moroccan bread, known as khobz, is a staple with every meal: most restaurants will serve it as appetizer, in conjunction with dip and soups. You also will likely get served it at breakfast with eggs and various dips. If you’re a bread connoisseur like me, you’ll definitely get a kick out of trying khobz. If you don’t like bread, unfortunately, there’s probably no avoiding of this stuff in Morocco.

10. Nus-nus

Reminiscing about #morocco so I made myself a #nusnus. #coffee #Moroccanlatte #cafeconleche

A photo posted by Sumaiyya (@thoughtfoundrie) on

Coffee lovers of the world, fear not. Morocco may be known for its (ah-mazing) mint green tea, but it also is famous for its amazing coffees. The country also has a huge culture of cafes. Most cities’ medinas (main shopping areas/squares) have dozens upon dozens of cafes, and if you look lost you’ll probably be harassed by upwards of a dozen of hosts and hostesses trying to get you to take a seat at their cafe. Don’t worry, you can’t miss ’em. Moroccans love taking time out of their day and savoring a coffee. It’s always served in a glass too, so you can revel in the aesthetic look of seeing the layers of milk, coffee, and foam! Nus-nus is made from a half of strong pure Arabic espresso (yum!) and one half milk. Definitely don’t leave Morocco without trying one.

giphy

Yeah Brit, we totally feel you.