Janmashtami is a festival celebrated all over India to observe the birth of Lord Krishna, one of the ten forms of Lord Vishnu. Lord Krishna, as we all know, was a big “Foodie and had a sweet tooth.

I belong to a family where Janmashtami is celebrated with great devotion and enthusiasm. I’ve grown up helping my elders in decorating the Paalna (cradle in which Krishna ji sleeps after birth) and making a number of delicacies for the festival. Living away from home in a PG, I miss cooking and enjoying the sweets usually served on this festival.

So, here I thought to present to you a list of sweets made on Janmashtami along with their recipes in most of the Indian households:

1. Makkhan Mishri

Janmashtami

Photo courtesy of images.jagran.com

Every child in India is grown up listening to the story of Lord Krishna and his habit of stealing Makkhan from the houses of Gokul. Thus, he was given the name “Makkhan Chor”Makkhan was his favorite and is therefore, the first in the list of sweets made on his birthday. This is a simple sweet made with fresh white butter, mishri and topped with a tulsi leaf.

Read Makkhan Mishri recipe here.

2. Meva ka Ladoo

Janmashtami

Photo courtesy of resize.khabarindiatv.com

Made with wheat flour (atta), ghee, jaggery and dry fruits, Meva ka ladoo is another common sweet cooked on Janmashtami. Meva ka Ladoo is offered to Krishna Ji’s mother to give energy and heat post-pregnancy.

Get the recipe here.

3. Gole ki Barfi

Janmashtami

Photo by Bhavya Bansal

Gole ki Barfi
is a perfect example of how few things can combine to make something tasty. Desiccated coconut, mawa and sugar is all required to make this easy sweet dish.

Get the recipe here.

4. Kheer

Janmashtami

Photo courtesy of therecipetown.com

Kheer is another important sweet dish served on Janmashtami. Milk, sugar or jaggery, dry fruits are the common ingredients used in this delicacy. Ricevermicelli (seviyan) and lauki are the three options you can add in kheer. Missing home already, aren’t you?

Read the recipe here.

5. Meethi Mathri

Janmashtami

Photo courtesy of thumbs.ifood.tv

Meethi Mathri is unsalted mathri made of refined flour (maida) and soaked in sugar syrup. It is not-so-sweet mithai which gets melted in the mouth. So, if you’ve never tried a meethi mathri, make it this Janmashtami.

Get the recipe here.

6. Shrikhand

Janmashtami

Photo courtesy of thumbs.ifood.tv

Shrikhand is common sweet made in Gujarati and Maharashtrian cuisine. It is made with strained yogurt (dahi), sugar and garnished with cardamom powder and saffron. In Maharashtra, a new version of Shrikhand is served combined with mango pulp which is called Aamrakhand. So, you can also try Aamrakhand this Janmashtami.

Read Shrikhand recipe here.

7. Panchamrit

Janmashtami

Photo courtesy of ifairer.com

Panchamrit, meaning five nectar is made of five ingredients, each signifying something. Milk is for blessing of purity, curd for prosperity and progeny, honey for sweet speech, ghee for victory and sugar for happiness. It is considered as an important part of any puja or offering made to God.

Get the recipe here.

8. Gopalkala

Janmashtami

Photo courtesy of media.indiatimes.in

Gopalkala is yet another favorite treat of Lord Krishna. It is made with poha (flattened rice), curd, coconut and cucumber. It’s one of the easiest dish to make on Janmashtami.

Read the recipe here.

9. Murukku

Janmashtami

Photo by Simran Mathur

Murukku or commonly called Chakkri is a savory snack without which Janmashtami is incomplete. It is a South Indian recipe prepared using rice flour.

Get Murukku recipe here.

10. Gujiya

Janmashtami

Photo by Vishesh Monga

Gujiya, as we all know is usually made on Holi but, it also has a significant value during the Janmashtami festival. One of the version of gujiya is made by soaking it in sugar syrup and serving when cooled.

Read the recipe here.

That was our list of all the sweet delicacies made on Janmashtami. Do let us know which ones are your favorite!