It’s a known fact that the avocado is one of the world’s healthiest foods. It not only has a ton of uses, but also has multiple health benefits… most of which can be found in the seed.

Recently, New Paltz Spoon posted a video on how to eat the seed of an avocado. I, like many others, didn’t know that you could eat the seed so, I did some research and found out that eating the avocado seed actually has many benefits.

1. It’s full of antioxidants.

avocado seed

Photo by Rachel Piorko

The avocado seed has more antioxidants than most fruits and veggies. It’s said that 70% of the antioxidants in an avocado are contained in the seed.

2. It’s good for your skin.

avocado seed

The oil in an avocado seed increases the amount of collagen in our skin. This helps our skin stay wrinkle-free and keeps us looking young.

3. The avocado seed is full of fiber.

avocado seed

Photo by Samantha Thayer

Studies show that the seed contains more soluble fibers than oatmeal and other top fiber providers.

4. It reduces inflammation and eases joint pain.

avocado seed

Photo courtesy of quickmeme.com

Avocado seeds contain the antioxidants, catechins and procyandins. These antioxidants act as anti-inflammatories while reducing swelling, pain, stiffness, and loss of joint function.

5. It’s good for your digestive system.

avocado seed

Photo by Molly Krohe

These seeds help with inflammation of the GI tract and help cure diarrhea.

6. It helps you lose fat while lowering cravings.

avocado seed

The many fibers contained in the seed helps to keep you feeling satisfied and full. Avocado seeds also help to lower blood sugar levels. You’re less likely to crave sugar and other junk foods when your blood glucose levels are steady.

7. It’s high in potassium.

avocado seed

Photo by Julie Haupin

Studies show that the avocado seed is high in potassium, but keep in mind, these levels lower as the fruit matures. It’s best to eat the avocado when it is perfectly ripe if you want to receive all of its potassium.

8. It helps fight against and prevent cancer.

avocado seed

Photo by Emily Hu

A 2013 study done at The University of Antioquia, in Medellin, Colombia, found the avocado seed had a pro-apoptotic effect on leukemia cells and caused them to self-destruct. The seed also contains the antioxidant, phytochemical, which helps to reduce tumor growth.

9. Seeds help to prevent heart problems.

avocado seed

Photo courtesy of puppercorn on Tumblr

Due to the high content of amino acid and fiber, the seed helps to lower cholesterol and prevent cardiovascular issues.

10. It’s good for your hair.

avocado seed

Photo by Becky Hughes

Avocado seed oil makes your hair shiny and helps to get rid of dry and dead skin on your scalp.