Whether you’re a kale lover or a hater, look out for the new competition for hype. Kale has become known as one of the greatest superfoods out there. It’s packed with more nutrition than practically any other food — in 1 cup alone there’s 9 times more than your daily vitamin K requirements. It’s nutrient dense and super versatile, and it even has it’s own national calendar day.

But sales of seaweed snacks are rising, with about 27 new snack products launched last year compared to 10 in 2012. In perspective, sales of seaweed snacks in the US have taken over those of kale, and according to the director of New Nutrition Business, “Kale is just one plant with limitations on its supply, while seaweed is an entire family of plants with no supply constraints.”

So all the kale fans out there, here’s the new trend. Chances are you’re already drinking beet juice and Instagramming your açai bowls, so now it’s time to join the next trend of snacking on seaweed.

And for all the kale haters out there, here’s a new trend to jump on that’s still in a modest phase of being both cool and trendy, without promises to save all the world’s problems like kale has.

seaweed

Photo by Jaye Lind

Seaweed is high in vitamins A, B6, and C, as well as calcium, iodine, fiber, antioxidants, and magnesium. It can help prevent bloating, create a natural oil barrier on skin to reduce acne and dry skin, and prevent inflammation. Seaweed is also notoriously low in calories, so munching on this should be totally guilt-free.

seaweed

Photo by Jaye Lind

Now that you’re in the know of the trend, there are some must-have snacks that incorporate a daily dose of seaweed and are the perfect study snacks when you just feel like having something to munch on, or late night snacks when you know you’re fully capable of eating 5 bags of chips that you’ll regret in the morning.

Seaweed Salad

seaweed

Photo by Jaye Lind

A delicious addition to any meal, a seaweed salad acts as an appetizer or vegetable side dish for dinner, or a great lunch paired with a sandwich or sushi roll.

Roasted Seaweed

seaweed

Photo by Jaye Lind

Only 99 cents at Trader Joe’s, these seaweed packs are a perfect go-to snack at any time of day. With the saltiness just right, they do the trick for a pick me up when you’re feeling a lack of concentration while working.

Seaweed Sandwich

seaweed

Photo by Laura Silver

For a lighter lunch or a twist on a typical sandwich between two slices of bread or a tortilla wrap, substitute seaweed to envelope your lunch for a boost of nutrients and an added salty flavor.

Deconstructed Sushi

seaweed

Photo by Gabby Phi

If you’re a little bored with typical sushi rolls, this is the perfect on-the-go meal or snack to get your quick fix and your daily dose of seaweed. A necessary ingredient in the Americanized favorite, seaweed brings together all the parts of a sushi roll and makes for a perfect base of this mason jar meal.