We take football pretty seriously here at Michigan. While most students spend home games tailgating – see, for example, Pregaming with Pat -only  stopping on the way to The Big House for a quick burger or Chipati, there are always away games to consider. Hosting a viewing party? Watching the NFL on Sunday? These three  dips go great with a bag of tortilla chips (and a cold beer or two).

Greater Guacamole: Punch up guacamole by going beyond avocado, red onion, cilantro and fresh lime. Add in some tomatoes, jalapeños or even pineapples. Playing around with how small or large ingredients are chopped can also add some character to this staple dip.

Cheesy Chili: A heartier, warmer option is a baked chili dip. Simply combine a can of store-bought chili, cheddar cheese, Velveeta, green chilies and green onions in a baking pan or casserole dish. After 15 minutes in the oven at 350˚F, stir the mixture and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes. Sprinkle some extra cheese on top when it’s done.

Cowboy Caviar: If you’re trying to save your calories for beer, try a lighter and healthier dip option. My grandmother makes this and calls it Cowboy Caviar, and though she uses fresh ingredients, most of the ingredients can be found in cans for quicker preparation. Simply mix tomatoes, avocados, corn, black-eyed peas, minced garlic, red wine vinegar and hot sauce in a bowl.