So, isn’t yeast that thing you put in dough to make it rise? Cause it definitely doesn’t sound like something you’d sprinkle on top of, well, everything.

But lucky for us, nutritional yeast has the health benefits and the perfect taste to work with pretty much any dish.

nutritional yeast

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Nutritional yeast is the vegan alternative to cheese (think nachos and mac ‘n cheese, but healthier). Though it’s not an exact replica of the creamy goodness of dairy, it’s pretty damn close and a lot kinder to your body.

Aside from its unappetizing name, nutritional yeast actually has a ton of health benefits. First off, it’s gluten-free, making it perfect for almost anyone’s diet. Secondly, it’s stock-piled with vitamin B — just 1/2 of a tablespoon will provide you with a day’s worth of B vitamins. Because a lot of these vitamins are usually found exclusively in animal products, it’s a big win for the vegetarians and vegans out there.

These little flakes are also super high in protein and fiber — 2 tablespoons has more protein than a glass of whole milk, a large egg, and one ounce of beef. Who knew that all your morning workout needed was a kick from this magic dust?

nutritional yeast

Aaand now for the fun part: How to add nutritional yeast to basically everything you eat.

Toss it with some popcorn.

nutritional yeast

Photo courtesy of foodandwine.com

Some days, there’s nothing you want more than a giant tub of salty, buttery popcorn. Besides getting your phone screen all greasy as you try to text and eat, this much butter can also do a number on your body. Instead, try popping some kernels in olive oil and then mixing in nutritional yeast and spices like cumin and chili powder. These kinds of recipes give way more flavor and keep you from feeling bloated.

Sprinkle it on any pasta dish.

nutritional yeast

Photo courtesy of minimalistbaker.com

What’s pasta without cheese, right? Instead of using Parmesan cheese on top of your pasta, try nutritional yeast for a slightly different — but still delicious — cheesy flavor. Or, if you’re really going for the health kick, you can make a whole new pasta sauce to cook with your noodles. Try this vegan alfredo or vegan mac ‘n cheese and you’ll never feel bad about too many carbs again.

Stir it into soup.

nutritional yeast

Photo courtesy of avocadopesto.com

I think we can all agree that Panera’s broccoli and cheddar soup is to die for. But if you’re looking for a vegan alternative that you can whip up right at home, these little flakes have your back. Nutritional yeast soup recipes still have all the flavor and creaminess, but without the added calories of real cheese.

Add it to roasted vegetables.

nutritional yeast

Photo courtesy of crueltyfreefamily.com

Spice up some roasted vegetables with this flavorful kick. We all know cheese makes everything better, and nutritional yeast is no different. Sprinkle it on top of some roasted veggies (or any veggies at all) and you’re good to go.

Mix it into a quinoa bowl.

nutritional yeast

Photo courtesy of runningonrealfood.com

Are you a vegan, “I do cross fit” yogi who enjoys long nature walks and acai bowls? No? Either way, quinoa bowls should become a staple in your diet — not just because they’re healthy, but because they’re just so delicious. Quinoa recipes include any combination of nutritional yeast, veggies (broccoli, carrots, beets, and kale all work), and almonds for crunch, creating a protein-packed meal in minutes.

Well, there ya have it, kids. These cheesy flakes can transform almost anything into a tastier, healthier, and creamier version than before. You can find nutritional yeast at any health food store, so you are literally just a car ride away from sprinkling it on everything.