We all know Thanksgiving can be an insane time of year with too many people in one kitchen, pots and pans flying and – god forbid – forgetting to give yourself enough time to roast the turkey. Here are 13 hacks that will make this year’s Thanksgiving dinner your best one yet.
1. Spatchcock your turkey.
Cutting out the backbone and flattening your bird will reduce cooking time from upwards of 3 hours to around 45 minutes. You’re welcome.
2. Peel an entire head of garlic in 10 seconds.
Shake garlic into submission with two large bowls. It’s the end of smelly garlic fingers, forever.
3. Transform your entire Thanksgiving dinner into a cake.
This cake has layers of turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and stuffing topped with mashed potato “frosting”. If you’ve been aching to do Thanksgiving differently this year, this is your chance.
4. Set your turkey on fire and cook it in record time.
This Thai-inspired recipe shows how to cook a chicken within 15 minutes by lighting it on fire, which you could totally adapt to your turkey if you’re feeling adventurous. Adrenaline junkies take note.
5. Forgot whipped cream for your pumpkin pie? We got you.
All you need is some heavy cream and a cocktail shaker. Don’t have heavy cream? Use coconut milk instead.
6. Make adorable Thanksgiving dinner placeholders out of pinecones.
Bake them at 200 degrees for 45 minutes to make sure bugs don’t fly out at you during dinner.
7. Scrubbing potatoes is for amateurs—put them in the dishwasher instead.
Uh, this is mind-blowing…just remember, don’t add detergent!
8. Combine stuffing and bread rolls.
Save time on making two different dishes by putting them together! The final product? Meaty, pull-apart stuffing flavored rolls.
9. Use vodka to make a flaky pie crust.
It’s a scientific fact that boozing up your pie crust equals flaky perfection.
10. Soften frozen butter with only a glass.
Always overshoot in the microwave and end up with melted butter? Fill a glass with hot water, then dump and place glass upside-down over the butter. Problem solved.
11. Use a thermos to keep your gravy warm.
Never serve cold gravy again. Ever.
12. Impress your family with an edible apple swan.
Bump Thanksgiving dinner up to a whole new level with edible centerpieces.
13. Make cornbread stuffing waffles.
Essential for leftovers. Top with turkey, cranberry sauce and gravy for some serious next day eats.