Starbucks just came out with a new Frappuccino flavor — the Fruitcake Frappuccino. While we still don't know why Starbucks came out with a new Frappuccino flavor at the beginning of winter, it comes with an ugly sweater cozy that makes it bearable to hold in the cold. We decided the new flavor is too good not to give you the recipe — especially since it's only available for 3 days. So here's how to make it at home. 

yogurt, ice cream, milkshake, milk, cream, ice
Marina Nazario

When I went to order the Fruitcake Frappuccino, the barista didn't know how to make it. She asked me what's in it and I said I don't know, I've never ordered it before. I was scared she wouldn't be able to make it for me. So I whipped out my Starbucks app and showed her proof that this is in fact a drink that Starbucks serves.

The barista studied the recipe on my phone and said that she can make it. I still don't understand why Starbucks managers don't brief their employees on new products. While she was making the drink, she looked up and told me she ran out of cinnamon. How do you run out of cinnamon at 8 am? She substituted it with a pump of dulce sauce. That works too.

If she could make it for the first time and have it be tasty, then I should be able to do this at home and save myself an exuberant amount of money for a coffee drink. So here's my theory on how to make it.

How to Make It

Making a DIY Frappuccino is easier than you'd think. It only takes a few ingredients, plus it's way cheaper than buying a $5.72 Starbucks drink. If you want to make a Fruitcake Frappuccino at home, you'll need a blender, an empty Starbucks Frappuccino cup, ice, dried fruit, matcha powder, caramel sauce, cinnamon, milk, and hazelnut  coffee. 

beer, coffee, tea, water
Marina Nazario

I would start by making the hazelnut coffee — however that may be. Once that's done, pour it in the empty Starbucks cup until the first line. Next, add milk to the third line of the cup. Sprinkle some cinnamon and matcha powder in the cup, with a handful of dried fruit. For the dried fruit — I recommend dried strawberries and blueberries (you can get them at Trader Joe's). 

Marina Nazario

Now pour all of that into the blender, add ice, and blend. It might be a funky color. (It actually looks horrendous.) But remember — looks can be deceiving. Pour the frothy liquid into the Frappucino cup, add a pinch of dried fruit (for texture), and top with whip cream. Douse it with caramel sauce and voilá. You made a Fruitcake Frappuccino.

I can't promise you the same results as when the barista at Starbucks made it, but at least you saved some money. It might have a funky color — even the real Starbucks Fruitcake Frappuccino looked horrendous. But remember, looks can be deceiving and in the end, you just made yourself a limited-time Starbucks drink.