Soothe your heartbreak woes with these all-star foods that will make you look and feel even better than before.

1. Avoid memory-enhancing foods so you can move on. 

dumped

Photo by Grace Lee

Steer clear of berries, which contain high amounts of antioxidants and flavonoids, both proven to prevent the breakdown of brain cells. Blueberries in particular are a major no-no, as they particularly enhance special memory and learning. Unfortunately for the coffee junkies, a break from your favorite caffeinated drink will probably be necessary at first, as coffee temporarily sharpens focus and memory.

2. Stock up on mood-boosting foods so you put down the Kleenex and Gilmore Girls box set. 

dumped

Photo by Kelda Baljon

It’s time to show your ex that sticks and stones can’t break your bones – or your mood – because you’ve been drinking milk! Milk, soymilk, and pretty much anything containing vitamin D have been shown to increase serotonin production and ease depressive symptoms. It’s also time to break out the beans, because these tasty legumes are chock full o’ protein and fiber, both of which fight weariness and give you energy.

3. Eat foods that help with eyesight so you can see that this wasn’t the person of your dreams after all.

dumped

Photo by Grace Lee

It’s time to embrace green vegetables, particularly dark leafy ones, because they contain large amounts of vitamins A, B12, C and calcium – all of which are good for your eyes. Avocado also contains lutein, a preventative of eye diseases such as cataracts. Shellfish has high levels of zinc, a mineral that’s abundant in the retina, and helps keep your vision 20-20. Another retina-relief food is carrots, which contain beta-carotene, a carotenoid that converts to vitamin A and improves eye health.

4. Indulge in foods that add luster to your look so that you can get back on the market hotter than ever.

dumped

Photo by Sarah Munger

Basically anything containing omega-3 fatty acids will do the trick. You can find this essential ingredient in many types of fish, especially salmon. It’s also in avocado, many types of seeds, including pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, and walnuts. Walnuts are also a significant source of biotin, which protects cells from DNA damage and can help with broken hair or hair loss. Omega-3 fatty acids help regulate the oil production in your body, so eating any of these foods will keep your skin fresh and hydrated. They will also help keep your scalp dandruff-free and maintain the shine.

So, if you’re experiencing heartbreak, put down the ice cream spoon and log out of Netflix. You deserve a three-course meal. I’m thinking a leafy salad with carrots, avocados, walnuts and flaxseeds to start, followed by a finger-licking filet of rosemary-crusted salmon. Okay, fine. And ice cream for dessert.