Sometimes there’s nothing more satisfying than plopping in front of the TV in your favorite pair of sweats and shoveling a microwave dinner into your mouth at speeds that should not be humanly possible. However, other days, you have someone you’d like to impress coming over for dinner, and you have to make yourself and your dinner table look presentable. Though the task may seem a little daunting, Spoon has some easy tricks for setting up a nice dinner table. Getting out of your sweats will have to be something you tackle on your own, though. Sorry.

1. The centerpiece

Make sure you put something in the middle of your table, be it some flowers from your neighbor’s porch or a bowl of fruit. Be careful that it isn’t too big, though. You want to be able to see your guest from across the table, so super tall or wide bouquets are a no-no. Also, you can flank the centerpiece with candles.

table setting

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

2. The silverware

Hide your plastic forks and spoons—we are getting classy up in here. Spit shine the actual silverware you own and place it in a way that will impress but not intimidate your specific guest. There are varying degrees of fancy, so look below for some ideas.

table setting

Entrée fork on left, knife with blade pointed inward on right | Photo by Elizabeth Layman

table setting

Salad fork & entrée fork on left, knife with blade pointed inward on right | Photo by Elizabeth Layman

table setting

Salad fork & entrée fork on left, coffee spoon & dessert fork at top, knife with blade pointed inward on right | Photo by Elizabeth Layman

3. The napkin

Use either a fun paper napkin or a cloth napkin for a nice dinner. Keep in mind that if you use a cloth napkin, you will have to wash and iron it (or take it to get dry cleaned) afterwards. Never put the fork on top of the napkin; always set it to the right side of the napkin.

table setting

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

4. The glasses

For those of you who enjoy wine at dinner, take careful note of this. Set the wine glass to the right of the water glass, which should be right above the knife. This is so both are easy to reach and your guest won’t knock red wine all over your beautiful table when he or she first looks into your eyes.

table setting

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

5. The table’s clothing

You may use a runner lengthwise paired with placemats, two runners overlapped like a cross, a full tablecloth or just multiple placemats to dress up your table. These options will also protect the table itself from spills and scratches.

table setting

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

Note: Place settings can be different for different people, occasions and countries.

Do you set your table differently? Want to let us know in the comments? Be our guest!