As long as it isn’t date night, garlic is one of the most delicious and easiest ways to add flavor to a dish. Sure, raw garlic is packed with both flavor and nutritional benefits (lower blood pressure, anyone?) but if you’re really looking to impress, roasted garlic is the way to go. Somewhere along the roasting process, that infamous pungent taste becomes sweet, and the soft, creamy consistency makes it smooth and spreadable. The good news: roasting garlic requires little technique! The bad news: it also requires lots of self restraint. Fighting off the urge to dig in before its ready is almost impossible as the inviting aroma lingers in your kitchen.

Feel free to experiment with different types of oils. Roasting garlic with coconut oil imparts a unique and delicious flavor incomparable to any other oil. Try spreading roasted garlic over a slice of French bread and toasting until it’s crispy for extremely simple homemade garlic bread.

Easy

Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total time: 47 minutes

Servings: 1

1 head of garlic
1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 piece of tinfoil

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Cut off the top 1/3 of your head of garlic.

roasted garlic

Photo by Anna Beckerman

3. Drizzle olive oil over the exposed cloves of garlic, making sure to coat each clove evenly. Wrap the head of garlic in the tinfoil, and place on a baking sheet with the cut side facing up.

roasted garlic

Photo by Anna Beckerman

5. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes or until the cloves have softened.
6. Remove tinfoil and enjoy!

roasted garlic

Photo by Anna Beckerman