It’s easy to settle into a routine getting your Benson food. However, switching up how you order or what you order can be cheaper, healthier, more fun, or all three. Try these tips next time you’re there.

1. Load up on those extras at the Farmer’s Pantry.

Benson

Photo by Gabby Phi

Oatmeal is a classic, cheap breakfast option, and there are a couple toppings already built into the Benson price—raisins, cinnamon, brown sugar, and (recently) coconut. But if you take a couple steps to your left, you can pile on some tasty, creamy peanut butter which they rarely charge you extra for. And, if your sweet tooth is kicking in, go over to the waffle station and load up on those chocolate chips. They’ll melt into swirly deliciousness.

2. A side of rice, please.

Benson

Photo by Alexa Rojek

No need to get a rice bowl at Sauté. Get your veggies or whatever else you want in the salad bar line sautéd, and ask for it with a side of rice. $1.19 for a side vs. $4.99 for a bowl + the cost of veggies. Brown rice is healthier, but white rice is delicious; take your pick. Add some free soy sauce, and you’re good to go.

3. La Parilla has your back.

Benson

Photo by LA Times

When La Parilla is still open on Friday nights, you know what’s not officially on the menu? The limes. Throw a couple into those conveniently placed, mini to-go cups and bring a small stash back to your dorm. After all, it’s the freakin’ weekend. Can you say free chaser?

4. Bistro sides plates are a friggin’ steal.

Benson

Photo by Alexa Rojek

Don’t feel like paying the big bucks or consuming the big calories for a full bistro meal? Ask for one of the sides on its own and pay a simple $2 for it. The specials are quite heavy in and of themselves, so toning down your portion size can be a great alternative to throwing away unfinished food.

5. Eat late.

Benson

Photo by Lauren Thiersch

Have a late class? Too lazy to head to Benson during rush hour? Wait until each station is about to close—at 8:30—, and you’re much more likely to get a heftier portion. Here at Santa Clara, we don’t like to waste.

And there you have it. Just a few, quick “hacks” to help you rule the dining hub on campus.