How many times does this happen: a recipe calls for the juice of one lemon, lime, or any citrus fruit for that matter, and you have to squeeze the hell out of it to get any juice out? I've had this issue one too many times, and it was time to make a change. It was time to figure out how to get the most juice out of a lime

It all started with the making of my favorite dip, guacamole. I'm a huge fan of anything avocado related and I always like to spice up my guac with a little zing. Adding lime juice seemed like the perfect additive to guacamole, and that's where the ultimate lime hack began.

Traditionally, cutting into any citrus involves rolling the citrus—ya know, to get all the juices flowin'—and then slicing it into two halves. What follows next is the use of your extreme finger strength to extract as much juice out of the fruit as you can. And all you're left with it a sticky counter, cramped fingers, and only the tiniest bit of juice. Unacceptable. 

I found a hack that not only gets more juice out of the lime, but also decreased the stress on your hands. It all comes down to how you're cutting the lime (or any citrus for that matter), and here's how to get all of that juice out of the lime. It's the ultimate lime hack. 

How to Juice a Lime

• Cook Time:0

• 1 lime
  • 1 knife
  • 1 cutting board
  • 1 plastic cup
lemon, citrus, juice, lime
Rachel Gramuglia

With the lime upright, cut it into 4 pieces. Follow the core all the way down, like you're coring an apple.

Next grab a cup, bowl, or whatever you want to add your lime too and start to give those four pieces a good ol' squeeze. You'll notice that you're getting so much more out of the lime that you would have if you just cut it in two halves.