Frankford Avenue in Fishtown is a foodies dream. This newly hot neighborhood has everything from outdoor bars, to hipster coffee shops, to brewery-turned restaurants. From University City, Fishtown can seem like a long drive for a simple meal. I’ve planned a Frankford Avenue Food Crawl so that you can experience all the best of Frankford street in one day. There is no better way to get to know a neighborhood than through its restaurants.

10 AM: Morning Coffee at La Colombe Coffee Roasters 

tea, coffee, wine, beer
Alexandra Schenker

Start your morning with a delicious coffee at the Flagship of these famous Philadelphia Brewers. La Colombe is founded on the principle that “America Deserves Better Coffee”. Admire the graffiti on the wall, the awesome people-watching, and the weirdly cool bathrooms.

Fun Fact: According to Philly Mag, the Founder of La Colombe walked 700 miles alone from Antarctica to the South Pole.

12 PM: Brunch at Root Restaurant and Bar.

Eat Brunch at Root, preferably at one of the tables outside. Root’s interior feels like a modern version of a 1960s cafe. You must order the Turkish eggs, which are perfectly poached eggs in a dill yogurt sauce and fattened up with some aleppo butter. If you go with a friend, share the eggs in purgatory, Root’s spin on shakshuka.

2 PM: Late Lunch at Kensington Quarters.

Make your way down Frankford Street for your meat fix at Kensington Quarters. This butcher shop/restaurant has one of the best pulled-pork sandwiches you will ever have. Another great pork option is the pork shoulder benedict. You can also never go wrong with their burger. In addition, Kensington Quarters is a great option for happy hour in their outdoor patio or for dinner.

4 PM: Happy Hour at Fette Sau

Fette Sau prides itself on having “the best American whiskey list in Philadelphia”. Pair one of these whiskeys with a multitude of their smoked meats and sides like sweet potato mash and baked beans. Fette Sau is best in the warm weather to sit outside at the long picnic tables, but even in winter, these tables are lined with lamp heaters.

7 PM: Dinner at WM Mulherin’s Sons.

WM Mulherin's Sons is my favorite restaurant in Philly right now. This restaurant serves New American food in a refurbished whiskey brewery. A reservation can be tough to come by, but if you put your name in early or are willing to sit at the bar, you will be set. Must-gets are the octopus, speck and egg pizza, the spicy jawn pizza, bucatini al’amatriciana, the hanger steak, and essentially everything on the menu. WM is also great for brunch if you want a donut sandwich with fried ham, fontina, and egg or a frittata with truffle burrata, smoked pancetta, mushroom, and potato.

10 PM: Late Night at Joe’s Steak.

If you aren't bursting yet, finish off your Frankford Food Crawl with a famous Philly Cheesesteak at Joe's Steaks

Fishtown is swimming in many more awesome bars, music venues, restaurants, and galleries to explore than are on this list. Get a group of friends together to do this food crawl in a neighborhood where "cool is the rule".