Onions can kind of suck. They are round, multi-layered and make us cry from the acid they release (mixed with the tears of our own frustration). Learning the different ways to cut onions, however, can really help spice up your dishes—so grab a pair of onion goggles and get cutting.

How to Dice an Onion:

1. Tightly grip the onion with your non-dominant hand and slice off the two root ends with a sharpened knife. Then, peel back the onion skin and discard.

Photo by Sarah Stettin

2. Slice the onion into two equal halves. Cut lengthwise, making even cuts from one side of the onion to the other.
3. Now cut the onion in the opposite direction, making smaller and more frequent cuts.

Photo by Sarah Stettin

4. If you’re aiming for an even smaller dice, you can gather the pieces and continue to chop them. Behold: diced onion!

Photo by Sarah Stettin

How to Slice Onions into Rings:

Slicing onions into rings is great for homemade onion rings or to add to your next burger or sandwich.

1. Like before, tightly grip the onion with your non-dominant hand and slice off the two root ends. Then, peel back the onion skin and discard.
  2. Hold the knife in one hand while gripping the onion firmly with your other. Start at one end of the onion and cut it into slices (the thickness is up to you). Cut carefully – the onion will become less steady as you cut.

Photo by Sarah Stettin

3. Use your fingers to push out the individual rings. Once you finish, wipe your tears and prepare the slices however you like: baked, grilled or raw.

Photo by Sarah Stettin