Once a year for one very special week, Haligonians put aside their diets and overindulge in countless burgers at a variety of Halifax restaurants. Burger Week is an event hosted by The Coast which features amazing gourmet burgers in support of Feed Nova Scotia. Some features of Burger Week include many restaurants offering $6 burgers, speciality burgers, and/or donating part of their profits to Feed Nova Scotia. What more could you ask for? Delicious discount burger creations and beer, all for a good cause. Not to mention the perfect excuse for any students to take a break from studying and hit the town!

The Dalhousie Spoon crew set out to try as many burgers as possible through out the week. As first timers, we didn’t know what to expect but were surely blown away. We pushed through our food comas and rated a few of our faves from the week:

Lot Six Bar

burger week

Photo Courtesy of Lot Six Bar

Although this burger is a bit more pricey than the $6 ones you can find at other restaurants, it was definitely worth it. The blue cheese with the pear toppings made for a delicious and interesting pairing, and the quality of the meat was a 10/10. The side fries were very crispy and tasty, but the portion was small. The only criticism for this burger is that if you aren’t an adventurous eater and don’t like to stray from a classic burger, this might not be for you. For the rest of you, this burger is a must-eat during Halifax Burger Week!

Price: $15

Niche Lounge Supperclub

burger week

Photo by Alex Wiley

Niche featured a crispy chicken burger with mozzarella, bacon, tomato, and jalapeño aioli. This burger was excellent and a nice change from the beef options most restaurants offered. The $8 dish had a good kick to it and could be accompanied with a variety of tasty sides. Everyone loved the juicy chicken burger and definitely wished it was offered all year around…one more reason to countdown till next year!

#SpoonTip: The Niche salad is worth the extra few dollars as a side. It offers a light and refreshing alternative with fruit, goat cheese, and a light vinaigrette.

Price: $8

Relish Gourmet Burgers

burger week

Photo by Alex Wiley

Our experience at Relish was hard to top. Out of all 75 restaurants, Relish had one of the coolest features. The chips and dip burger consisted of hand-cut chips, lettuce, tomato, roasted garlic mayo, and house-made relish. The mastermind behind this invention deserves a slow clap. A nice crunch, amazing flavours, and a juicy patty atop a soft bun.

Price: $6

#SpoonTip: Why not go big and add one of the restaurant’s many speciality mayos for a great fry or onion ring dip? We recommend the chipotle mayo.

2 Doors Down

burger week

Photo by Alex Wiley

2 Doors Down offered two different sliders this time around. The crew all went with the Dragon Burger which was topped with kimchi slaw, cilantro mayo, and dutchman dragon’s growl spread. Once again, the burger was excellent and very unique. It had tons of flavour, excellent quality beef, and the perfect kick. The restaurant also served up incredible sides like their infamous kale caesar salad. The only down side to this burger was the size as both options were done slider style. As long as you aren’t looking for a monstrous burger, 2 Doors Down was definitely a must stamp for Burger Week passports.