Cauliflower clearly seems to be  the “IT” vegetable of 2014, as hacks and recipes have been popping up all over the internet for quite some time now. Cauliflower should be one of your go-to ingredients in the kitchen, increasing your veggie intake and health conscious substitutions.

The nutrition facts for this vegetable can go on for pages. It is loaded with antioxidants, minimizing your risk for multiple diseases and strengthening your immune system. In addition, cauliflower is good for our livers. It helps with detoxification by neutralizing things that could be damaging (cough, cough alcohol). And, like most other vegetables, cauliflower contains fiber, ridding our bodies of harmful matter and improving cholesterol levels.

Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable, meaning it resides in the same family as broccoli, cabbage and other leafy veggies. These types of vegetables are known to be anti-carcinogenic (cancer-stopping), detoxifying superheroes with tons of nutritional value and should be eaten about three times a week.  Here are just a few ideas for incorporating cauliflower into some of your favorite foods.

1. Mashed Potatoes

When prepared in a similar manner, cauliflower and potatoes can have textures that resemble one another. Mash up the cauliflower like you would with potatoes, and top it with whatever your heart desires. Sour cream, bacon bits, and cheese are all great options to top off this healthy version of the creamy, comfort-food side dish. Can’t think of a great idea for sprucing it up? Here’s a recipe to follow.

Mashed Cauliflower

Photo by Paulina Lam

2. Cauliflower Pizza

Just google “cauliflower crusted pizza” and your computer screen will become overloaded with different pizza recipes. While we all know it’s not the real deal, making a cauliflower-crusted pizza can be a fun activity for you and your friends. Who knows, you may even be pleasantly surprised by the taste. The crust will resemble brick oven pizza, very crunchy and light. Find the recipe here.

cauliflower

Photo by Laura Silver

3. Cauliflower Hash

A breakfast taco just isn’t complete without the perfectly cooked potatoes on top, but believe it or not, cauliflower is an excellent substitution. Sauté your chopped cauliflower with other veggies, eggs and seasoning of your choice and you’ll have crispy cauliflower hash.

cauliflower

Photo courtesy of www.paleoleap.com

4. Cauliflower Steaks

For all those vegetarians out there looking for something to eat other than tofu and veggie burgers, here’s the perfect new entree for you to try. Start by cutting the whole cauliflower head into large, thick slices and then roast and caramelize them on each side to bring out the unique and surprisingly savory flavor.

cauliflower

Photo courtesy of Yael Malka for BuzzFeed

Can’t get enough of this wonder-veggie? Discover even more cauliflower hacks here.