Stale chips, rotten herbs and sour milk are some of the most common catastrophes college students face. All of your staple ingredients cost less in bulk, but it’s almost impossible to use them all before they go bad. Because of this, one of the greatest struggles students face in the kitchen is food waste.

The answer to most of these problems lies in the freezer. A freezer exists to preserve highly perishable items — meat, bread, popsicles — but there are many unknown foods that are freezer friendly.

1. Eggs

freezer

Photo by Rachel Davis

Can’t use eggs fast enough? Crack them into an ice tray and freeze them. Once they’re solid, dump the egg cubes into a freezer bag. Defrost them as needed and use them as you normally would.

2. Cheese

freezer

Photo by Rachel Davis

Never let mold build colonies on your cheese again. Block cheese can be shredded and saved in bags for months.

3. Rice

freezer

Photo by Rachel Davis

Some days are just too short to waste time cooking rice. Instead, make a bunch ahead of time and portion it into freezer bags. To defrost, simply run hot water over the bag until the contents are warm. This can cut the time for meal prep in half. For a complete on-the-go frozen meal, make and freeze these rice balls.

4. Milk

freezer

Photo by Rachel Davis

Yes, you can save your milk for months without it curdling. Simply freeze the milk in its own container. Just make sure to pour out about a cup beforehand so it has room to expand. Let it defrost in the fridge a few hours before you’re ready to use it.

5. Chips/Pretzels/Crackers

freezer

Photo by Rachel Davis

Cold chips? This might sound wacky, but frozen chips actually have more crunch and flavor than regular chips. Freezing these crunchy snacks keeps them from getting soft and stale.

6. Butter

freezer

Photo by Rachel Davis

Frozen butter is actually ideal when making pastries. The colder the butter, the better it will be in creating a flakier biscuit or even a more buttery croissant.

7. Bread and Sandwiches

freezer

Photo by Rachel Davis

Your bread stays fresh in the freezer for months. The entire bag can defrost on the counter for a few hours, or you can pop a couple pieces in the toaster. You can also freeze whole sandwiches. As long as it doesn’t contain mayo, tomato or lettuce, your pre-made sandwich will defrost no-problem in your lunch bag while you’re in class.

8. Yogurt

freezer

Photo by Rachel Davis

Turn your breakfast into a frozen treat! Making your own frozen yogurt is incredibly easy. Yes, really, all you need to do is put it in the freezer.

9. Fresh Herbs

freezer

Photo by Rachel Davis

Fresh green herbs can take almost any meal up a level, but they don’t last long in the fridge. Freeze any fresh herb in an ice tray with olive oil, broth or water and pop it into a pan with your meal whenever you need it.