How many times have you gone to the grocery store and saw something you liked but couldn’t afford because it was way over your budget? Students find it difficult to eat healthy because everything is too expensive or all our money goes toward tuition and books that we never use.

Here are seven apps that every student needs download to save on groceries or expenses while getting cash back.

1. Checkout 51 (IOS/Android)

apps

Photo courtesy of thedooronline.com

Each week, the app provides a list of products that you can purchase while simultaneously getting money back as well. Cash back amounts range from 25 cents to a couple of dollars depending on the price of the product.

All you have to do is keep your receipt and upload it onto the app. Once they have confirmed your purchase, the money earned will be stored on your account and a check will be sent to you after you reach $20.

2. Flipp (IOS/Android)

apps

Photo courtesy of listentolena.com

Flipp provides you with weekly flyers from stores near your location that are stored in a single place for easy access.

You are able to search for product-specific deals or single out the store with the lowest price. Flipp also allows you to save any coupons or deals for quick reference while shopping.

Bonus: This is an app to save money at grocery stores and also department stores.

3. PC Plus (IOS/Android)

apps

Photo courtesy of buzzbishop.com

PC Plus is a program that lets you earn free groceries by collecting points. Every $1 spent is equivalent to a thousand points, and after reaching a certain amount of points, you can cash it in for free groceries.

Imagine spending $50 but being able to get double or triple the amount of groceries than before by redeeming PC points.

4. RetailMeNot (IOS/Android)

apps

Photo courtesy of pastemagazine.com

RetailMeNot is the go-to app to save money on basically everything. From food to clothing to furniture, there are coupons, discount codes, and promotions you can view for your favourite stores. The app also allows you to save certain stores so you receive notifications when there are promotions.

5. SnapSaves (IOS/Android)

apps

Photo courtesy of betakit.com

SnapSaves is very similar to Checkout 51, where there are new products each week for cash back. The app provides a significant rate of rebate on fruits and vegetables which will encourage healthy habits while getting cash back. All you have to do is take a picture of your receipt and upload it onto the app, much like Checkout 51.

6. Zweet (IOS/Andriod)

apps

Photo courtesy of play.google.com

Similar to Checkout 51 and SnapsSaves, Zweet offers sweet cash back for not only your grocery purchases but also necessities such shampoos and beauty favourites. Simply take a photo of your receipt that includes the products the app has provided that week for cash back and wait for the cash to roll in.

Zweet has also partnered with many of our favourite stores and brands such as McDonald’s and Trident, where it provides exclusive coupons and promotions that can only be found on the app.

Right now, Zweet is only available in Canada, but it will soon become available in the USA as well.

7. Groupon (IOS/ Andriod)

apps

Photo courtesy of sportsmom.sportsstarsoftomorrow.com

Amplify your savings by getting your friends involved. Groupon offers exclusive group deals for travels, food and restaurant, beauty and spa, health and fitness, and shopping in your own city. Expect to save big with tons of discounts of 50 percent and higher, special discount weeks and events.

Groupon is mainly targeted towards big group activities, but there are lots of coupons dedicated towards restaurants and food-related activities. So if you ever want to be fancy and go to a high-class restaurant, check out Groupon because it may just have the coupons you need to save big while eating like a king.