Most of us are pretty conscious about how much money we spend, especially on groceries. We look for deals and steals all over the place, making sure we don’t waste a cent of that hard-earned paycheck. But some of us still unknowingly throw money in the trash, all because we don’t know how to use every part of our food. Here are some helpful tips, tricks, and ideas for getting the most out of the food scraps we normally just toss in the garbage.

Make a broth

Utilize Food Scraps

Photo courtesy of @paleokitchens on Instagram

Is there anything a good bowl of soup can’t cure? Start off your own homemade soup with a broth made from your food scraps. Ingredients like onion and garlic skins, tops of celery, carrot peels, and corn cobs are great additions into a hearty vegetable broth. Simply collect the scraps, store them in a freezer-safe container, and keep collecting until you have enough. The diverse flavors will soak into the broth while the solids will be strained out. People may just start calling you the next Swanson.

Freshen up your smelly sink

Utilize Food Scraps

Photo courtesy of pixabay.com

After using your garbage disposal religiously, you may notice that your sink gets a sort of… stench. There is a natural and easy way to fix it using ingredients that may otherwise end up in the garbage. Just take your fragrant citrus peels, toss some in the garbage disposal and flip the switch. In no time, your sink will smell lemony (or orangey, or limey) fresh.

Keep pests at bay

Utilize Food Scraps

Photo courtesy of @inspiralized on Instagram

Did you know ants, moths, silverfish, mites, and wasps are deterred by cucumber? Those pests are reasons enough to save your peels. Here is how to use these seemingly useless scraps to keep your home free of unwanted guests. Now if only there was a natural remedy for keeping out unwanted relatives…

Make breadcrumbs

Utilize Food Scraps

Photo courtesy of pixabay.com

If you are like me or my pal Oprah, you have bread nearly every day. However, there are a whole lot of people who cut off their crust or neglect the ugly end piece. For these people, there is hope. These unwanted bread scraps are just what you need to create DIY breadcrumbs. Use this step-by-step guide and unleash the power of unwanted scraps. Toss on top of baked mac and cheese, au gratin potatoes, or even use them as a breading for all your crispy and crunchy favorites.

Try your luck with a food scrap recipe

Utilize Food Scraps

GIF courtesy of gify.com

Many cooks have found ways to use non-conventional parts of produce to create mouth-watering meals. Although some of these may seem a little abnormal, they are worth a try to both save money and to get out of your kitchen comfort zone. Here is a list of some recipes to try out before tossing out your unwanted peels, rinds, skins, and the like:

1. Watermelon Rind Stir Fry
  2. Parmesan Potato Skin Chips
  3. Oven-Dried Cinnamon Sugar Apple Peels
  4. Broccoli Stalk Coleslaw
  5. Cookie Crumb Pie Crust

When all else fails – compost

Utilize Food Scraps

Photo courtesy of @lesswaste_lessworries on Instagram

There does come a time when food surpasses its prime time and needs to be discarded. So, if you aren’t into using your brown bananas for banana bread, consider starting your own compost pile. It can be easier than you imagine, even if you live in a bustling city. Save money, resources, and our planet by jumping into this long-loved method.