Chips and guac are always a go to. I love a good, classic guacamole, but recently I thought “how can I kick it up a notch?” (tbt to Emeril). Then I thought what can I add-in to guac that takes it to another level. Try these ways I came up with or make up your own so you can have a whole guac party where your friends can vote for the best guac addition. Here are the 5 ways I came up with:

1. Chipotle Chiles in Adobo Sauce

guacamole

Photo by Allison Martin

For a more smoky guac, add chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, adding more sauce for more smokiness. These chiles also pack a little extra smoky heat that will hit you after one bite.

2. Garlic and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes

guacamole

Photo by Allison Martin

Make your guac with an Italian flair by adding savory, pungent garlic and sweet roasted cherry tomatoes. Cut cherry tomatoes in half, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast at 350°F for 20-30 minutes. Add tomatoes and as much garlic as you want to your guac. I always say the more garlic, the better.

3. Goat Cheese and Roasted Poblanos

guacamole

Photo by Allison Martin

This idea came from one of my favorite Bobby Flay recipes: queso fundido with roasted poblano vinaigrette. The tang from the goat cheese and sweet spice of the roasted poblanos combine to make a bomb addition to guacamole.

For the roasted poblanos, roast and turn until brown at 425°F for about 15 minutes. Put charred poblanos in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit 5 minutes (this makes them easier to peel). Peel them with your fingers, removing the skin, then seed and chop them to add to the guac.

4. Bacon and Jalapeños

guacamole

Photo by Allison Martin

Bacon and jalapeños are great toppings for nachos, so why not add them right into the guac? Jalapeños add a little kick and adding bacon to anything makes it better.

5. Corn and Chile Salsa

guacamole

Photo by Allison Martin

Corn salsa is a great add-in to guac and the tomato-less corn and chile salsa from Trader Joe’s is one of my favs. It’s sweet and just a lick spicy and is also the simplest addition to kick up your guacamole.

We couldn’t decide which was our favorite, but maybe you’ll be able to. Any way you can’t go wrong. Let these ideas spark your culinary creativity and go try kicking up your guac a notch.