Eating lunch at your desk has become a staple of corporate America. There’s even a website dedicated to the solitary, pathetic act of eating unappealing lunches at the work desk. Maybe it’s because everyone is so stressed out about keeping their job, or it could be we just don’t like socializing with work colleagues, but ether way, it’s sad to eat lunch with your computer. And apparently, it’s also bad for your health.

With internships underway and recent grads joining the real world, we’re all in for some changes. So why not spice up your lunch, too? Follow these tips to have a better desk lunch.

1. Never eat out of a paper bag.

desk lunch

Photo by Stephanie Manley

Paper bags are eerily reminiscent of middle school cafeteria lunch. Things get greasy, especially if your lunch has an oily component. It’s just not a good look.

2. Make a desk drawer pantry.

desk lunch

Photo by Stephanie Manley

Take one of your desk drawers and dedicate it to lunch. You should keep a good quality plate and bowl, nice silverware, napkins, your favorite cup or mug, and a cutting board. Also store olive oil, salt, pepper, and other condiments, like sriracha, to avoid bland meals. Don’t forget some side snacks.

3. Splurge for a few good containers.

desk lunch

Photo by Stephanie Manley

Reusing those containers that your Chinese food came in a few nights ago is just sad.

4. Don’t eat last night’s dinner.

desk lunch

Photo courtesy of Flickr

If you’re going to bring leftovers to work, change it up a little to avoid meal boredom.

Leftover chicken and leftover pasta: add marinara and cheese to the chicken to make a chicken parm sandwich with spaghetti on the side.

Leftover veggies: add spinach or lettuce, fresh cheese and your favorite dressing to make a summer salad.

Leftover steak: bread, some arugula, fresh cheese, and that olive oil and salt you have in your drawer pantry = open faced steak sandwich.

5. Go out and grab food with a friend.

desk lunch

Photo by Stephanie Manley

Don’t rely on the seamless delivery man to bring food straight to your desk. Pick up lunch yourself and grab some fresh air while you’re at it. It is summer – take advantage, people.