Sick and tired of your boring and bland chicken? Same. Chicken can easily be the most delicious, flavorful, and healthy meal but it can also be the most dull and tasteless. It all comes down to how you prepare it. So put down the salt, pepper and garlic powder and pick up something new. As useful as those spices are in the kitchen, they can get a bit boring when you use them alone. Mixing and matching spices and marinades is key to stumbling upon the most awesome recipes.

Brown Sugar

chicken

photo by Alyssa Maccarrone

Yes, you heard me right. I am telling you to put sugar on your chicken. Pair this sweet ingredient with paprika, oregano, garlic powder, and of course salt and pepper. Flavor your chicken with this delightful rub before your cook it and you will end up with a sweet and spicy flavor that you never thought was possible. Whoever said brown sugar was only for baking clearly never put it on their chicken.

Honey

chicken

photo by Lindsay Kuenzle

Yes, another sweet ingredient. Honey is not just for your tea. Make a sweet marinade with honey, lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cover your chicken with these sweet and tangy flavors and you will never want to prepare your chicken any other way.

Ranch

chicken

photo by Brooke Wells Spoon U

Let’s be honest, you can pretty much put ranch on anything. If you put ranch on your chicken salads why not just flavor your chicken dinner with it? Coat your chicken in ranch then top it off with cheddar cheese.

Balsamic Vinegar

Balsamic is so versatile. You can put it on a salad, mix it with your vegetables, and even use it to marinate your chicken. My favorite combination to use with balsamic is garlic powder and cayenne pepper. The balsamic is a bit tangy and the cayenne gives it a bit of a kick. If cayenne is too spicy for your taste buds, try this Rosemary Balsamic Chicken recipe.

Add a bit of crunch

chicken

photo by Alyssa Maccarrone

If you are baking or even frying your chicken, a bit of breadcrumbs can make the biggest difference. Feeling adventurous? Crush up some raw almonds and make almond crusted chicken. No almonds? No problem. Try these Breaded Chicken Cutlets.

There are tons of ways to put some kick in your chicken recipes. You just have to get those brain juices flowing and be creative. Next time you’re making chicken, make up a recipe yourself and see what happens. If you need some more inspiration, try a few of these recipes:

1. Garlic Feta Braised Chicken 

2. Healthy Jamaican Chicken Curry 

3. Chicken with Shallots