Josh Billings once said, “Never work before breakfast. If you have to work before breakfast, get your breakfast first.”

Ranked as one of the 14 Best College Dining Halls in America, Cornell dining offers a great deal of ingredients that has inspired me to come up with 11 of the most creative breakfast sandwiches.

You would be surprised however, that the ingredients are nothing out of the blue — ordinary, typical ones that can be found in any College dining hall across the country. Yet, it is the unusual, yet magical food combinations in these breakfast sandwiches that make them just so exciting. Exactly what you’ll need to provide your mornings with an extra kick and help keep you going for the rest of the day.

1. Yogurt & Berries Waffle Sandwich

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Elisa Djuhar

Who said waffles could only be eaten with butter and maple syrup? For that morning guilty pleasure, try sandwiching yogurt and berries in between your waffles and finish it off with a drizzle of maple syrup.

You definitely deserve this reward after waiting so patiently for your waffles to be cooked.

2. Sweet & Savory Waffle Sandwich

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Elisa Djuhar

And if you’re feeling a little more adventurous, have your waffle sandwich with bacon, peaches and maple syrup. Definitely not a common combination, but it’s sure to wake you and all those tastebuds in the morning.

3. Classic Elvis

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Elisa Djuhar

I’m sure most of us can agree that nothing beats this classic Elvis Presley inspired sandwich. For mornings when you’re rushing to class and want your breakfast sandwich to go, try this peanut butter, bacon and banana combination. You’ll even get your daily protein and fiber fix with this one.

Indeed, honor the King and you will be rewarded with the perfect treat.

4. Grilled Sausage & Egg Sandwich

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Elisa Djuhar

For a healthy start to the day, try this hearty combination of sausage and eggs in between toasted English muffins. You could use scrambled eggs, mashed up hard-boiled eggs, or even fried eggs; the choice is up to you. It’s easy to make, and it’s sure to give you that much needed energy boost for the rest of the day.

Maple syrup? Sure, go ahead and drizzle if you wish. Cheese? Go ahead and add a slice or two. Lets just say its your very own customised Egg Mcmuffin.

5. Pork & Apple Sandwich

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Elisa Djuhar

For those days when you miss your mother’s Thanksgiving Baked Ham and Apples dish, try this simple and substituted version of ham, strawberry jam and apples in between two lightly toasted whole wheat bread.

Sure, it’s not the same. But we’re college kids after all. We make the best out of what we can, don’t we?

6. Spicy Bacon & Egg Sandwich

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Elisa Djuhar

For when you want that extra wake up call in the morning, try adding some heat with Sriracha sauce to your classic bacon and egg bagel sandwich.

You’re sure to get a fiery start that’ll keep you ahead of the pact.

7. Power Up Protein Sandwich

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Elisa Djuhar

Fuel up with this high protein, fiber-rich sandwich made up of peanut butter, banana and high-protein Kashi GOLEAN Cereal on whole wheat toast.

Rich in carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats, make your morning meal a breakfast of champions.

8. Strawberry Pancake Sandwich

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Elisa Djuhar

On that one rare morning when the strawberries are out, take the opportunity to elevate your ordinary pancakes with strawberries and yogurt. If there aren’t any strawberries, don’t fret because whatever berries are fine too.

Crush up a little cereal of your choice for that added texture.

9. Apple & Yogurt Pancake Sandwich

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Elisa Djuhar

For when you have a little more time in your hand that morning, slice up some apples and try this apple and yogurt pancake sandwich. Don’t forget to drizzle some honey or sprinkle some cinnamon sugar.

10. Strawberry Cream Cheese & Fruit French Toast Sandwich

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Elisa Djuhar

Forget eating your French toast with plain old butter and maple syrup. Have them with strawberry cream cheese and some dried cranberries, raisins and apricot. Sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar and you’ve got yourself one indulgent breakfast sandwich.

11. PB & J & Cheese French Toast Sandwich

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Elisa Djuhar

Sure, PB & J is a perfect combination, and cream cheese and French toast is a perfect combination too. But haven’t we always heard the phrase “the more the merrier”? For that extra flavor and heartiness, try adding a layer of cream cheese to your PB & J on a two slices of French toasts.

It definitely doesn’t hurt to combine two perfect pairs for one over-the-top combination, does it?