Are you looking to keep up with your plant-based babe/bro lifestyle at school? Don’t worry, Elon’s got you covered. From on-campus dining to off-campus restaurants, you’ll never go hungry. The abundance of options promises to keep your vegan diet vibrant and simple, rather than dull and difficult. 

Breakfast of Champions

meat, pork, beef
Anna Doherty

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, especially when you’re a busy college student constantly on the move. The campus dining halls’ vegan breakfast options are pretty similar no matter which one you're at. With the endless topping combinations, you’ll never tire of oatmeal.

Slice up an apple and sprinkle on some cinnamon, snag a handful of fresh berries from the yogurt bar, and for those days when you wake up with a sweet tooth, swirl in as many spoonfuls of brown sugar as your heart desires. If you’re not an oatmeal lover, try my go-to morning meal: peanut butter and banana toast. Still hungry? Potatoes are served daily in the form of either wedges or tots, so grab a side of those.

cereal, muesli, milk, granola, corn, sweet, oatmeal, strawberry
Anna Doherty

If you’re a vegan, you’re likely a green juice fanatic. To get your fix, check out Blend Juice Boutique in Burlington. Their menu consists of raw, cold-pressed juices, bagels with "cream cheese," colorful smoothie bowls adorned with a variety of toppings, and don’t think they forgot about your Insta-worthy avocado toast. Grab brunch with friends on Sunday, or stop in on hump day for 10% off with a valid student ID.

On-Campus Eats

avocado, lettuce, salmon, salad, spinach
Anna Doherty

Now let’s talk on-campus lunch and dinner. Starting with my personal favorite, Green World is a dining hall in Colonnades that specializes in vegan and vegetarian food. Essentially, it is Elon’s greatest gift to us. GW makes an assortment of dishes with ingredients like tofu, beans, veggies, and chickpeas.

The nutritional yeast that you should’ve brought from home (or bought at Harris Teeter after reading this article) is an excellent garnish to almost any of their recipes. If you’re not feeling GW but are already at Nades, I recommend ordering a veggie and hummus wrap at the deli bar. Nades also makes some vegan dishes, just check the labels and look for the navy blue V.

Taking a study break from the library? Stop by Lakeside for soup and salad or run into Freshii for a bowl or a burrito. It's basically Elon’s version of Chipotle. Just got out of comm? Raid the pasta bar at McEwen. Picnic at Lake Mary Nell? Grab one of Argo Tea’s (located in Global Commons) five vegan salads, ranging from edamame to lentil.

Dining Out

pizza, broccoli, mozzarella, crust, cheese, chicken
Anna Doherty

When you and your crew are dying to get off campus, don’t feel like your eating habits are a burden to your friends. Every restaurant has vegan options. For when you’re vibing taco Tuesday at Tangent, try either the roasted cauliflower or seitan taco. If you want a burger, eat a burger. Order The Root’s black bean quinoa burger served with tofu mayo and a side of sweet potato fries for heaven on a plate.

For when your friends are craving 2pm Chik-fil-A or 2am Cookout, french fries are your friends.  Looking for the perfect dinner and dessert duo? Indulge in a pizza made with vegan cheese at Pandora’s Pies, and then get a scoop of sorbet at Smitty’s Ice Cream

Back up. Did I mention dessert? Just because you’re a vegan doesn’t mean you don’t love to #treatyoself as much as an omnivore. If it’s too cold for sorbet, check out either Green World or Argo for delectable dairy-free desserts like muffins, cupcakes, cookies, and more.

As you can see, maintaining a vegan diet at Elon is not only easy, but exciting. Don’t be afraid to channel your inner creativity at the dining halls and ask your waiter about options at restaurants. Also, if you’re not eating a vegan diet yet but are interested in transitioning to one, check out the 11 Reasons Why You Should Go Vegan to motivate you to join the movement.