You may be thinking to yourself, "Why would I possibly drink wheatgrass?"

Well, to answer that question, wheatgrass is actually surprisingly full of nutrients–containing vitamins A, C, and E, as well as iron, calcium, magnesium, chlorophyll, and amino acids. It can be consumed in various ways, such as in juice, capsules, tablets, pills, or powder. 

Wheatgrass in juice form (a wheatgrass shot) is arguably the best means of consumption, as it retains its most natural state. However, wheatgrass powder is a great second option and can be conveniently ordered online.

Although raw wheatgrass is certainly not the most appetizing of foods, wheatgrass powder can be mixed in with smoothies, shakes, or juices to increase flavor while packing in a whole slew of vital nutrients that you may otherwise be missing. The following are just a few potential benefits. 

Neutralizing Toxins

The chlorophyll in wheatgrass balances the pH levels in our bodies and makes the environment less acidic. Due to both environmental toxins and those we consume with processed foods (especially fats), higher levels of acid are produced and can lead to acidosis. Wheatgrass, however, is alkalizing, and therefore can help improve bone health and manage some chronic diseases. 

Increasing Oxygen Production

According to the American Cancer Society, Wheatgrass also benefits oxygen production through its rich chlorophyll content. Because chlorophyll is high in oxygen, more oxygen is delivered to the blood and the production of hemoglobin (the oxygen-carrying protein in our red blood cells) rises. 

Lowering Cholesterol, Improving Digestion, and Boosting Immunity

Wheatgrass also lowers cholesterol by blocking its absorption into the body. According to the Mayo Clinic, wheatgrass aids in digestion and boosts immunity by killing off harmful bacteria in the digestive system. 

Other Benefits

According to the Mayo Clinic and the National Center for Biotechnology Information, other benefits of wheatgrass include reduction in high blood pressure, help with arthritis management and skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema, improvement in blood sugar disorders (diabetes), and cleansing of the liver.

Wheatgrass can help with a variety of medical conditions and improve overall health. However, it should never replace your daily intake of fresh fruits and vegetables–the true staples of a healthy lifestyle.