I don't know anyone who loves taking tests, but there are definitely people who can walk in and out of the exam room without completely panicking and questioning their entire future. Bravo to them. However, some of us don't have that luxury. If you're anything like me, taking a final exam can be a nightmare. Even if I'm a pro in the class, the test always makes me anxious.

When I first came to college, I had a difficult time adjusting to midterms and finals — especially since people make them out to be the most important thing you'll ever do in your life. Once I realized that, despite the hype, finals won't make or break your future, my test anxiety began to ease up.

I also began testing out the millions of test taking techniques lauded on the Internet until I found the ones that worked for me. These eight simple methods helped me reduce my test anxiety and ace my finals. 

Before the Test

It's important to deal with test anxiety before you even step into the exam room. This approach helps you reduce the stress before the test is put in front of you, so you can really kill it. 

1. Hit the books early

This one seems like a no brainer, but if you suffer from anxiety, it's essential to start studying well before the exam. The more prepared you feel mentally, the better you'll do.

2. Know what to expect

Don't be afraid to be the one in lecture who asks about the format of the exam. You and everyone else in the room will benefit from this information (because multiple choice and free response are totally different animals). The absolute worst thing for test anxiety is unnecessary curveballs, and you don't want to walk in expecting one thing only to be faced with the other. 

3. Practice, practice, practice

The best way to feel prepared is to take practice exams. If you get your hands on a practice exam, try to mimic the exam conditions. Take it timed, sitting at a desk, so you're ready for the big day when it arrives.

4. Get to the exam room early

Get to the room early enough so you can pick a good seat, set up your stuff, and have time to pee. You don't want to run in late and get your heart pumping before the exam starts. 

5. Eat Breakfast

Kathleen Mensing

You shouldn't skip breakfast any day, but especially not on exam day. Skipping breakfast leads to a whole range of downfalls from bad memory to angry moods. Aside from the physical symptoms, I've found that eating breakfast on exam day also helps with test anxiety. Taking the time to sit with your cup of coffee and yogurt bowl can help you start the day more relaxed.

During the Test

1. Don't Take it in Order

The first time you go through the exam, skip the harder questions. Fill in everything you know first, then return to the questions that stumped you. This technique helps you finish as much of the test as possible. If the rest of the exam is finished, taking extra time to solve the annoying problems won't stress you out as much.

2. Pay Attention to Your Breathing

Deep breathing exercises are great for any type of anxiety. Although you might associate deep breathing with panic attacks, simply paying attention to your breath can help you relax even when you're just mildly irritated. If, in the middle of the exam, you start to stress out, take a second put down your pencil and take three deep breaths. Inhale through the nose until your belly is full, pause for 3-5 seconds, and then breathe out through the mouth. It might seem like a waste of time in the middle of an exam, but if it brings you back to a focused state, it's worth it.

3. Think Positive Thoughts

Don't sit there and tell yourself you're going to fail. Constantly focusing on negative thoughts can make you freeze up during the test. Reinforce yourself during the exam to boost your confidence.

After it's all over, celebrate! Do something to help you relax and bring your heart rate back down. Remember, exams are never as important as we're making them out to be. No matter how poorly you do on an exam, food will still exist to comfort you.