Most people know vinegar as a cleaning solution for pots and pans or as a tangy dressing for salad. But according to recent research, the benefits of vinegar go far beyond the kitchen. Tested and tried just months ago, vinegar found in classics from apple cider to traditional balsamic have seen proven health benefits from anti-infection to catalyzing weight loss.

Anti-infection

Science as old as Greece itself, in 400 BC Hippocrates hypothesized that fruit vinegar could act as a natural solvent for healing wounds. Fast forward 2500 years –now we have the science to prove it.  Collected from all over the eastern hemisphere, spirit, rice and grape vinegar are all proven to knock out major food-borne illnesses from Salmonella to E. coli.

Antioxidative

To add on to the list of vinegar's benefits: It’s also an antioxidant. If you’re like most – you know that’s a good thing, but still have no clue what it means. Found in nutrients like vitamins C and E, antioxidants inhibit the oxidation of certain chemicals that are bad news for your body when oxidized.

Therefore, it's an important substance to keep in your bloodstream --  you can find more antioxidants in Shanxi, Italian balsamic and red wine vinegar.

Blood Glucose Control

Quite the multitasker, vinegar also aids in regulating blood glucose levels. From Swedish white to Chinese bitter buckwheat to American apple cider vinegar – intake shows decreased glucose levels after consuming starchy food. Although this specific perk is most beneficial to those with diabetes, vinegar’s connection to weight loss appeals to all.

Validating the recent apple cider vinegar trend, long-term consumption of certain types of vinegar has been seen to correlate with decreased body weight and overall fat percentage.  However, what most people don’t know is that corn, purple sweet potato, mulberry and hawthorn vinegar also have these same fat-shredding properties.

Inhibits Cancer Growth

Crazy enough, though, weight loss isn’t anywhere near vinegar’s most astounding attribute. According to what minor test tube testing that has been done, aged Shanxi and Japanese black vinegar were both seen to inhibit growth of several types of cancer cells.

Although studies have just begun, grain vinegar could very well be the future of cancer research and treatment. Who’s not to say that in another 2500 years cancer is cured and Hippocrates was right all along?