During my sophomore year of college, I was taking the best class in the world: yoga. That's right. You heard me. I took a credited college class for yoga, and it was the best experience of my life. However, that's another story. I'm here to tell you about what I learned from one specific assignment that made me realize how grateful I am for the life I have. 

The Quick Story

Our yoga instructor wanted us to focus on positivity for the week, so every day we had to write down three things we were grateful for. The things could not be repeated and could not be similar. At first, I was a tad annoyed because that meant I would have to remind myself to do that every day plus think of 21 different things. However, I welcomed the fun challenge.

My first three things were family, yoga and waking up to watch the sunrise. I found it easy the first five days, but then I had to get creative because I started to repeat things or come up with similar items. It made me really think about what I was grateful for every day.

When the assignment ended, the class shared their gratitude. There were a variety of things ranging from coffee to a favorite memory. Some students realized they were grateful for the same little things as others. In the end, the class really enjoyed the grateful assignment. Personally, I loved this project because looking back at my list made me happy, as well as it reminded me of the good things that happened that day.

Today

Shelby Cohron

It has been over a year since the grateful assignment. I loved it so much that I continued it. I bought my own little journal, wrote the date, wrote down three things I was grateful for every day and added a quote. To this day, I try to be specific and write a variety of things. Whenever I get homesick, stressed or depressed, I look through the old pages. I can’t help but look back and laugh at that day. The things I am grateful for melt my stress away and remain true even if it was written a year ago. 

I recommend you to write three things you are grateful for every day. It can give you insight into who you are, remind you of where your values lie and can bring you out of any funk you are in when you reflect on what you have. Looking through the previous lists can remind you of days you might have forgotten.

It made me aware of how temporary sadness can be and how grateful I am for what is in my life. I began to enjoy the little things and not sweat the small stuff. So, go write why you are grateful for today. Go realize the greatness that is your life!