Skin is the largest organ of the human body. As such, it requires a little extra attention, especially in the winter months. It's easy for our skin to get dry, cracked, and chapped when there's so little moisture in the air to nourish it. The slew of products promising you the softest skin you've ever had can sometimes be more confusing than helpful. Fortunately, not every facial scrub has to be bought.

Make it Yourself 

salt, vegetable, herb, condiment, tea, oil
Anna Bradley

Cue this super simple DIY sugar scrub. It's inexpensive, takes less than five minutes to concoct, and you probably already have half the ingredients needed. It leaves the skin feeling smooth, nourished, and soft. Scoop it into any waterproof container when you're finished and you just made yourself an amazing self-care product. 

#SpoonTip: Put the final product in a cute mason jar if giving as a gift.

- 1 cup sugar (white table sugar is perfect!)

- 1/2 cup coconut oil (I use a brand from CVS for my daily moisturizing routine).

- 1-2 handfuls of fresh rose petals (available at florist's shops. I use dried petals instead so I don't have to worry about deterioration). 

- 10-20 drops Rose essential oil

oil, condiment
Anna Bradley

Process:

To make the sugar scrub, combine the first three ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it looks well blended. You can see tiny flakes of the rose petals in the scrub. Next, add 10-20 drops of the essential oil. Stir the mixture with a spoon until you're happy with the look and smell.

I've found that balance is crucial. Don't drown the scrub, but you should be able to tell the difference between the pre-rose oil and post-rose oil product. It will look smoother and creamier. 

ice cream, chocolate, goody, candy, strawberry, sweet, ice, cream
Anna Bradley

Results:

If your scrub doesn't look like the scrub in the POPSUGAR video - don't be alarmed. The recipe I provided is just a guideline. Now that I've made it several times I vary the amount of each ingredient I use based on what feel I want, but everything is a tradeoff.

#SpoonTip: More coconut oil is more hydrating but it can leave you feeling more oily than you might want. More sugar will do a good job of exfoliating your skin but might feel too abrasive.

DIY recipes are great because it allows for mistakes and flexibility. You're the only person you have to market your product to, so take your time figuring out what it is you prefer. The most important piece of the process is simply the ingredients.

milk, ice, cream, sweet
Anna Bradley

#SpoonTip: It's best to use this sugar scrub outside of the shower. If it interacts with too much water in the container it could take on a grayish hue or even mold.

That being said, if you only take it into the shower when you plan on using it—keep it out of the shower head's reach. A slight discoloration won't affect its performance. Be sure to store it in a sealed, waterproof container for best results. I use Mason jars of various sizes depending on whether I'm gifting it and how much I want to use at a time.