One of the best things about studying at the University of Edinburgh is the number of many amazing restaurants that are just a stone’s throw away from main campus. Luckily for all of us veggie lovers, there are so many restaurants that cater to vegetarian and vegan diets.

For those days where there’s no time to go home or pack a lunch, it’s important to know where you can eat that’s close by, affordable and will have what you’re looking for. I’m sure all of you have at one time or another experienced the struggle of arriving at a restaurant and scanning the menu for a meatless option other than a dull cheese and tomato sandwich or green salad.

Not all restaurants have realized tofu and tempeh’s boundless potential to create kick ass meals: tofu & avo rice bowls; honey & garlic tempeh sandwiches. Need I explain further? However, these five lunches are next level. Enjoy.

1. Halloumi Po’Boy from Checkpoint

vegetarian

Photo by Victoria Belton

A take on the epic Louisiana sandwich, packed with salty halloumi cheese, pistou, piquillo and homemade salsa. Definitely one to keep you satisfied till the last bite.

2. Vegan Chilli from Union of Genius

vegetarian

Photo by Victoria Belton

This vegan chilli can actually be made vegan by getting it without the cheese and sour cream. The chilli is served on a bed of cracked nachos, adding a bit of crunch to the mouth-watering dish. This soup is usually served from their soup van, which sits right on campus by George Square, Monday-Friday from 10:45 AM till the soup runs out.

3. Parsnip and Honey Soup from Peter’s Yard

vegetarian

Photo by Victoria Belton

The perfect treat on a cold day, this soup is guaranteed to get your taste buds going. Peter’s Yard is known for their Swedish baked goods, so their bread is top-notch. The best part is that they use all natural ingredients.

4. Tofu Ninja Bun from Paradise Palms

vegetarian

Photo by Victoria Belton

Connect with your inner warrior at Paradise Palms by getting the Tofu Ninja Bun lunch deal. That’s chips, slaw and a steamed bao bun for less than a tenner. Mmm mmm good.

5. Falafel, Aubergine, Sun-Dried Tomato and Feta Wrap from The Nile Valley Cafe

vegetarian

Photo by Victoria Belton

Unarguably one of the best wrap places in Edinburgh. The Nile Valley Cafe has a variety of different wraps to choose from, or you can design your own. They have a distinctly African flare and their falafel wraps are to die for.