These Japanese snacks have withstood decades of change and proven to be the cornerstone for daily cravings. If you’re looking for tastiness, you can find it here. A variety of sweet, crunchy and chewy, these 7 can’t-miss snacks are something everyone needs to experience in their lifetime. There’s even the original instant ramen noodles! What college kid could refuse that?

1. Pocky

japanese snacks

Photo by M. Harada

Probably the most popular Japanese snack known among us, this thin biscuit dipped in chocolate will be gone in an instant. But don’t worry. They come in such a wide variety of flavors that there sure won’t be a shortage anytime soon.

2. Pretz

japanese snacks

Photo by M. Harada

Not into chocolate, but still love the biscuit-stick that makes up Pocky? Pretz are dusted with salty and savory seasonings instead of encased in a sweet fudge. You are sure to find your pick with flavors ranging from the original roast to bizarre ones like seaweed wasabi.

3. Chicken Ramen

japanese snacks

Photo by M. Harada

Introduced in 1958, Chicken Ramen is the first instant noodle product ever created! With the seasoning infused in the noodles already, there wasn’t a simpler and more delicious meal you could have asked for.

4. Baby-Star Ramen

japanese snacks

Photo by M. Harada

It’s not a secret that everyone munches on uncooked ramen from time to time. What if I told you that it was an actual snack? Baby-Star Ramen lets you savor the crunch you love without any of the guilt.

5. Hi-Chew

japanese snacks

Photo by M. Harada

A hybrid between gum and taffy, Hi-Chew is the chewiest candy you will ever eat. Might I also add the fruitiest and tastiest. Originally created to follow Japanese culture of not taking food out of one’s mouth, this edible kind of chewing gum has grown to be popular among Americans and Japanese alike.

6. Kibi Dango

japanese snacks

Photo by M. Harada

This sweet mochi treat was used by an old folktale hero, Momotarō, to recruit his 3 loyal companions. With Kibi dango in your hands, people will be flocking to you to get a taste of this delight. And I assure you that you’ll be getting way more than 3 new companions.

7. Yōkan

japanese snacks

Photo by M. Harada

Made from red bean paste, yōkan has been a staple in traditional Japanese delights. Around since the eleventh century, yokan is a sweet dessert that often features local ingredients creating a profusion of different flavors.