Brinner = Breakfast for Dinner AKA the oldest food substitute in the books. We all know it from those busy nights in elementary school when mum was too busy to make a real dinner so we were rewarded with the ever-so-delicious SECOND breakfast of the day. If we were even luckier, she was too busy to actually make yet another breakfast and we got the sacred Eggo Waffles.

As a busy college student, I now understand why my clever mum used brinner on those hectic days. It’s ideal for nights when you can’t be bothered making a real person dinner, or just want an excuse to have the best meal of the day twice.

The best news? You can even make it healthy, so there’s no guilt for having breakfast twice that day, or every day, if you’re a dedicated Brinner advocate. Here are five ways brinner is vital to the college student.

It’s Cheap

breakfast

Conducive to the college student budget, breakfast foods are generally significantly cheaper than dinner ingredients. For example, eggs are cheap, easy and so versatile. You can make a delicious veggie omelette, eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs on avocado toast, fried eggs, the list goes on and on – and all on a budget.

Perfect for those long days when you can’t think of a creative, sophisticated meal – check out this three-ingredient recipe for baked egg in avocado. The protein packed into eggs combined with the healthy fats in avocados will make this a great quick meal for dinner to keep you full throughout the night. This cheap fix will give you endless possibilities all for under $5 a meal.

It’s Quick and Easy

breakfast

It’s called breakfast for a reason. If you’re in a rush to get back to the library, or you just don’t want to spend all night in the kitchen, brinner has got you covered. Whether it’s whipping up some eggs, cereal, or even pancakes, these go to breakfast meals are much quicker than any sophisticated dinner meal you would have prepared otherwise. Here are 23 unique and delicious recipes for those quick and easy breakfast dishes.

You Don’t Have to Choose Between Sweet and Savory

breakfast

There is a preconceived notion that dinners have to be savoury. If you’re anything like me and have a sweet tooth 24/7, then brinner is the perfect excuse for a sweet meal.

Can’t decide? Even better. You can combine some French Toast with bacon for that perfect combination of sweet and savoury, or even get adventurous and try some bacon pancakes.

It’s Healthy

breakfast

Photo by Marci Green

Brinner can be a healthy, lighter alternative to the traditional larger dinner meal you would make. Think brinner is just pancakes and syrup? It’s not. Although you can opt for the less-healthy alternatives like Eggo Waffles (a personal favorite), many brinner recipes such as omelettes and avocado toast can be a healthy alternative.

It’s an Excuse to Have the Best Meal TWICE

breakfast

Whether it’s breakfast, brunch, or brinner, it’s the best meal of the day, and the most important, so why not have it twice? College kids rejoice – not only is brinner cheap, it can also be healthy (which isn’t always the case when we need a quick dinner fix). Brinner is so versatile you could have it every day of the week: from savoury omelettes to sweet crepes and everything in between.