Ask me where my favorite place to travel is and the answer is simple: Istanbul. The vibrant culture combined with the outstandingly beautiful sights are enough to put it at the top of your wanderlust list, but in my opinion the culinary culture of this Turkish gem should be enough to make you want to get on a plane and get there, ASAP.

1. Köfte

istanbul

Photo courtesy of @ocubykush on Instagram

Typically made of a lamb, these juicy Turkish meatballs are often mixed with mint and parsley, and served with a yogurt to dip.

2. Döner Kebab

istanbul

Photo courtesy of Cynthia Chung on Instagram

An item familiar to most students, the combination of grilled meat and veggies wrapped inside of a flatbread is enough to make any mouth water… especially after a night out.

3. Turkish Delight (Lokum)

istanbul

Photo courtesy of @ieatmelbourne on Instagram

Pretty much a colorful jelly sugar coated in powder sugar topped with an assortment of nuts. Like a jelly bean and chocolate fudge had a wonderful, wonderful cousin.

4. Raki

istanbul

Photo courtesy of @erefcankaraca on Instagram

Without a doubt the most dangerous on this list, this licorice flavored booze is too good not to try. Bonus: it turns from clear to a cloudy white when mixed with water.

5. Şiş Kebap

istanbul

Photo courtesy of @ellouiselong on Instagram

Succulent grilled meats appear yet again… This time, served on a stick!

6. Baklava

istanbul

Photo courtesy of Garrett Ziegler on flickr.com

Go into one of the many famous baklava shops in Turkey to witness #stacksonstacks of filo pastry dough held together with honey and pistachios. Learn to make it here.

7. Börek

istanbul

Photo courtesy of @aksamnepisirem on Instagram

Oh man, do I dream about börek… Using a similar process to the baklava above, this is also a rendition of filo layered with cheese (and sometimes spinach).

8. Lahmacun

istanbul

Imagine the thinnest crusted pizza possible and add a Turkish spin of spices.

9. Menemen

istanbul

Photo courtesy of @nihanakca on Instagram

A combination of eggs, tomatoes, peppers, and spices, menemen is a dish has recently become very popular in the US for it’s simplicity and deliciousness.

10. Pide

istanbul

Photo courtesy of Jorge Cancela on flickr.com

The traditional Turkish pita flatbread…the perfect carb for all the toppings. 

11. Meze

istanbul

Photo courtesy of Justin Van Dyke on flickr.com

Who doesn’t love lots and lots of small dishes to eat with bread and even more booze?

12. Dolma

istanbul

Photo courtesy of @laglavan on Instagram

Lamb stuffed grape leaves dipped in a mint yogurt may be hard to imagine… but trust us.

13. Trileçe

istanbul

Photo courtesy of @ramanzanbingoletlokantasi on Instagram

Known in other parts of the world as tres leches, this Turkish sponge cake is soaked in three different sweet milks and topped with caramel.

14. Çig Köfte

istanbul

Photo courtesy of @cemile.fatih on Instagram

Usually served as part of a meze, these ‘meatballs’ of raw beef or lamb take the concept of beef tartar to a whole new level. 

15. Simit

istanbul

Photo courtesy of if you love me on flickr.com

Like a bagel and pretzel combined, this crispy circular bread is perfect with Turkish tea.