Salad is sort of, well, boring compared to all the glorious food there is in this world. Yet sometimes a mix of fresh greens is exactly what your body needs to cleanse and detox from last weekend’s partying. Or perhaps you’re just living the healthy lifestyle and wanting some new ideas to add flavor to the sea of vegetables. Let’s face it, the same old chicken or tuna in every other salad is starting to get repetitive, so here are some alternatives that might spice up your meal.

1. Crabsticks

We all like sushi. The California roll is an all time favorite for many, so try substituting it into your salad mix and add some mayonnaise or chili sauce to give it that extra finish. Crabsticks are nutritionally low in fat and are relatively cheap to buy—what more do you need?

2. Clams

Normally used in pastas or mixed seafood dishes, clams can be eaten raw, steamed, boiled, baked or fried. But since we’re all trying to be healthy we’ll scratch that last option. This video shows you how to put together a razor clam salad in a few easy steps.

3. Almond butter

Salad

Photo by Krysten Dorfman

You might be wondering why we’ve included this in the list. But almond butter actually is protein; it’s also an excellent source of vitamin E, magnesium and fiber. So go right ahead and scoop a spoonful (or two) into your salad, but don’t go overboard—it is still almond butter after all.

4. Eel

We like to think of this food as an acquired taste. But before you decide to skip this option, you should know that eel is regarded as one of the best nutritious food choices for the human body. Eel doesn’t contain sugar, but is rich in substances that are best for rejuvenating your body during the heat of summer. The list of benefits goes on. Click here for more details.

5. Quail eggs

Salad

Photo courtesy of paganum.wordpress.com

Considered a delicacy in many parts of the world, this protein choice brings class to your daily meal. Even with their small size, quail eggs have nutritional values that are three to four times greater than chicken eggs. Tip: your local Asian grocery store is probably the best place to make a purchase.

Once you’ve got your next meal planned out, why not ditch the flimsy tupperware and pack it in a mason jar?