Since its release in 1997, the McFlurry has been one of Mickey D’s most obsessed-over menu items, thanks to the clever and misleading spoon-straw (not a straw) and the glorious but short-lived limited-edition flavors. From Reese’s Cup to Rolo, I think we all have a past fave McFlurry flav that holds a special place in our ice cream filled hearts. Mine’s the Stroopwafel. June 2019 — August 2019. Her time in the US market was short but so, so, sweet. Gone but never forgotten.

In addition to the stalwart, tried and true classics, M&M and Oreo, just this year McDonald’s has already released the Strawberry Shortcake Mcflurry. She’s currently being phased out, and is already gone from my local McDonald’s. Which I’m honestly not that upset about. She was…okay, for what she was. But to me strawberry shortcake requires fresh strawberries, and that’s just not happening at McDonalds.

What is the new McFlurry flavor?

Photo courtesy of McDonald's

Anyways, the good news is the early demise of Strawberry Shortcake makes way for a new limited-edition flav, officially dropping at participating McDonald’s locations nationwide starting August 9. The Peanut Butter Crunch McFlurry will contain a beautiful blend of creamy vanilla soft serve, crispy cereal mix and chocolatey peanut butter cookie pieces. She’s crunchy, she’s chewy, she’s chocolatey, she’s gooey, she’s got it all. It’s giving Peanut Butter Patties, and I’m here for it.

TBH, it’s really not fair to Strawberry Shortcake to follow her with such a guaranteed fave. I mean, how do you compete with PB and chocolate? You just can’t. And then you’re adding cookies into the equation? Forget about it. I’m thrilled to see McDonald’s returning to what it does well — decadent nutty, gooey, chocolatey flavor combos. Delicate fresh and fruity flavors can be utterly delicious, but IMO are best left to local ice cream shops.

And for those of you who may be allergic to peanuts (I’m so sorry) and feeling some FOMO, you can try my mom’s fave off menu DIY McFlurry hack — order a vanilla sundae with caramel sauce and an apple pie, mix them together, and voila! Deliciousness for everybody.

When can I get the new McFlurry flavor?

The PB Crunch McFlurry is officially making its way to participating McDonald’s locations nationwide starting August 9. This sweet treat will be available for a limited time, while supplies last.

Hopefully I’ll get the chance to taste this incredible innovation for myself when it rolls out, if the ice cream machine is still functioning at my local McDonald’s. And BTW, for those of you who are already getting excited to try this in your Hash-Brown McFlurry Sandwich, obviously you can do whatever you want, but…please don’t. I’ll allow it with lesser McFlurry flavors, but you just don’t mess with perfection.