Monday may get a bad rap, but Sunday is the real killer. Who wants to wake up hungover, stumble into the kitchen, and then spend six hours cooking? Not this girl. Don't get me wrong; I still think that the idea of meal prep is brilliant. It saves time, money, and most importantly, your sanity. But you gotta know how to meal prep right. These ingenious meal prep hacks are perfect for those Sundays when you want to quickly whip up some food for the week with minimal effort involved. Sound good to you? Me too. Let's do this.

1. Muffin Tins Are Your Friend

cheese, meat, vegetable, bacon, jalapeno
Emma Lally

Just like diamonds and Ugg boots, muffin tins are a girl's best friend. Start your week off right by making a batch of banana blender muffins that you can grab for a quick breakfast. More of a savory fan? Whip up these jalapeño egg poppers instead. They're only five ingredients and some spices, so you don't have to think too hard about it.

2. Go Bananas For Smoothie Prep

salad
Rachel Eng

Some days, even the effort of peeling a banana and throwing it in a blender feels like too much. Save yourself the trouble by prepping your smoothie ingredients ahead of time. All you have to do on Sunday is chop up the fruit, throw it in a plastic bag, and toss the bag in the freezer. Sorted.

3. Crack On By Baking Eggs

egg, chicken, egg yolk

Yes, you read that correctly. Ditch the pan of boiling water on Sunday and opt to bake your eggs in the oven instead. That way, you don't have to worry about them breaking when you lower them into the water, and you can just pop 'em in them oven and set a timer. Easy peasy.

4. Mason Jars Are Life

Maggie Harriman

Mason jars are more than decorations at a rustic country wedding. On Sunday, choose an easy meal and then portion it into mason jars for an easy grab-and-go throughout the week. Chipotle Burrito Jar? Done. Deconstructed Sushi Bowl? You got it. Peanut Butter-Banana Overnight Oats? Heck, yes. You'll be buying mason jars by the dozen.

5. Be Sauce-y

cream, chocolate, sweet, coffee, peanut butter
Jessica O'Connell

I like to get more experimental with my food than Lady Gaga is with her outfits, and I get bored if I have to eat the same thing all week. On the other hand, I don't want to spend Sunday cooking 30 different meals. The solution? Cook up some vegetarian meatballs and then add different dips and sauces throughout the week. You've only made one meal, but it will feel like a new one every night.

6. #BYOH (Bring Your Own Herbs)

Herbs, Green, herb, Fresh, natural, farmer's market
Caroline Ingalls

Sure, you could buy your cilantro at the store, but wouldn't it be easier if you had a bunch of it growing in a pot on your windowsill already? Not only does growing herbs at home save you a trip to the grocery store and some money, but it also brightens up the room.

7. Take Things Slow

pasta, sauce, vegetable, tomato, meat, pepper, spaghetti
Analiese Trimber

Forget a mini fridge; the best investment that any college student can make is a slow cooker. You can make anything from a chicken chili to Nutella bread pudding. All you have to do is whack in some ingredients, turn the cooker on, and enjoy your meal eight hours later.

8. Wrap It Up

sushi, rice, fish, seafood, burrito
Jane Yeo

Sick of eating the same meal all week? Don't worry — you can reinvent almost any leftovers by putting them in a wrap. Buy some tortillas on Sunday so that midway through the week, you can take that turkey chili or chickpea quinoa salad and throw it in a wrap for a new spin on the same dish.

9. Play It Cool With Frozen Veggies

There's no shame in skipping the fresh fruit and veg. Invest in veggies that are already chopped and frozen, so all you have to do on Sunday is open a bag and roast pre-sliced broccoli with some salmon. It'll cut your meal prep in half, so you have time for your real priorities — in my case, watching "The Bachelor."

10. Admit to Yourself That You Hate Mincing Garlic

pasta, vegetable, flour
Nora Maxwell

Am I the only one that shivers in dread when I get to the step in a recipe that tells you to mince the garlic? If you, like me, think chopping garlic is the worst job in the world, then make your Sunday easier by buying some pre-chopped garlic. It's not cheating; it's just smart.

11. One-Pan Meals Are Everything

spaghetti, pasta, basil, vegetable, macaroni, garlic, tomato
Abigai Wang

The only thing worse than chopping garlic is washing up dishes. Sunday meal prep can generate some major clean-up, but luckily, one-pan dishes are the ultimate meal prep hacks. Check out this tomato and basil pasta, or this balsamic chicken recipe for a fuss-free meal.

12. Chop It Like It's Hot

If the recipe that you're prepping calls for more than three ingredients to be chopped (e.g. garlic, fennel, carrots), save yourself time by chucking the veg in a food processor instead. It's faster and easier. Just be warned: Food processors are not hangover-friendly. The noise on a Sunday morning pre-Advil can be killer.

13. Meal Kits FTW

Meal kits are kind of like Lego kits for adults—you follow a set of instructions, and you end up with a masterpiece. Make your Sunday effortless by getting all of your ingredients delivered straight to your door. I like the Spoon University Meal Plan in collaboration with Chef'd (#shamelessplug), but you could also opt for others like Blue Apron or Purple Carrot.

These meal prep hacks are guaranteed to make your Sunday a whole lot easier. Now all you have to do is cook some delicious food in your pajamas, cuddle up on the sofa, and watch some excellent cooking TV shows. "Iron Chef" marathon, anyone?