During my first two months at StFX, I have learned so much about myself and this famous university. I am discovering so many things that have helped me adjust to life in university and things that make up the culture of StFX, which upper years may remember learning. My experience at the university so far has been great, and these are the top 10 things I have realized during my first two months here. 

1. 13 Minute Naps are a Necessity 

I wasn't the type of person to take naps until I became a Xaverian. Little did I know, 13 minute naps can really make or break your mood and your productivity. Most students at StFX and other universities will tell you that they nap anywhere between 3 and 6 times a week. Some students may even nap once or twice a day, depending on how the week is going. 

2. Rita Wraps are an Experience

beer, pizza, bread
Emma Weir

Rita Wrap: /ree-tuh•rap/ noun : the famous wrap of StFX; essential alternative to meal hall.

Honestly, you just have to let the Rita Wrap speak for itself. There are so many different combinations that everyone's experience is different, but nonetheless an essential aspect of StFX food culture

3. Your Friend List Will Sky Rocket

Throughout my first two months at X, I've met new people everywhere I go, which is nice when you come from a small town where everyone knows you. I have made new friends while chilling in the lounge, attending classes, getting a Rita, and while at the gym. 

4. House Rivalries are All in Good Fun

beer, wine
Emma Weir

Every StFX residence has 'rival' houses and houses that are allies. During house events, your house is prepared with cheers for your allies and against your 'rivals'.  House rivalries can really amp up the spirit of events, but it's all in good fun.

5. Making it to 8:15 AM Class is Possible 

If you have trouble waking up early, you know the story. You set your alarm early to get ready or to hit the gym, but then you press snooze until you wake up in a panic at 7:59 wondering if you'll make it to your 8:15 class. I've learned the hard way that it's possible if you throw on some sweats and go, just don't forget to brush your teeth, for the sake of your classmates. 

6. Profs are Not Scary

wine, water
Laura MacAulay

Even though their title may be intimidating, professors really are here to help you make your education the best it can be. One of the perks of going to a small school like X is that it's easy to get to know your profs and for them to get to know you. 

7. Lists are Key

coffee, tea
Tala El-Ghali

Organization is key to staying on top of things, and it's helpful to find out what works best for you. For many people, including myself, lists are a necessity for keeping track of weekly assignments, readings, quizzes and study questions. I like to keep checklists in my room and on my computer. 

8. There's Something to Do Every Night of the Week

I realized quickly that there is some sort of event nearly every day of the week on campus. There are recreational league games, official StFX games on weekends, society meetings, and of course, Wing Nights at The Inn. 

9. StFX Life = Cult Life

coffee, water, beer
Mikaela Jahrig

Before arriving here, I had heard that StFX is like a cult. I had no clue what that meant, until I put on those robes and signed the big black book. At the time, I was thinking "what did I get myself into?", but now I know that it's a strong network of people that will change my life for the better. 

10. You are Not Alone

At StFX, there are friends and familiar faces everywhere you go. Most students regard fellow Xaverians as their second family, which really makes this place feel like home and it's something that you'll miss when you leave. I noticed that even when I visited home, I was excited to return to my friends on campus. 

Attending St. Francis Xavier University is an experience within itself, and you will quickly understand what Alumni mean when they say that "Home is X" or tell you that you will miss it every second you are away.