Disclaimer, this is not meant to be the end-all-be-all shakshuka recipe. This is the time-saving, simple-grocery-list, and minimal-effort-maximum-flavor shakshuka recipe. Typically, shakshuka recipes develop their wonderful and complex flavors with long simmers and added seasonings like cumin, paprika, cayenne, etc. This recipe eliminates all of those things, but still has enough flavor to stand up to other shakshukas. How? Jarred pasta sauce. Specifically, we’re talking about non-creamy, tomato-based pasta sauces, so you can put your pestos, alfredos, and vodka sauces away. Instead, look for sauces with labels like “traditional,” “marinara,” or “tomato and basil."

Grocery store brands will all have one or more of these flavors in their lineup so this is a choose-your-own-adventure moment. Side note, if you’re already an avid canned pasta sauce user, this recipe can function as your I-don’t-know-what-to-do-with-this-leftover-pasta-sauce shakshuka recipe (you’re welcome).  

Shakshuka

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • red bell pepper diced
  • yellow onion diced
  • cup water
  • cup tomato pasta sauce canned or jarred
  • 1 large egg
  • crumbled feta cheese for topping
  • torn basil for topping
  • salt to taste
Joseph Labrador

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the diced bell pepper and yellow onion to the pan, and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.

Joseph Labrador

To the pan, stir in 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup tomato-based pasta sauce, making sure everything is well mixed. If necessary, add salt to taste before moving on.

Joseph Labrador

Crack an egg in the center of the pan, and allow the pan to simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the whites of the egg are cooked (the yolk should remain runny).

Joseph Labrador

Remove the pan from the heat, and top the shakshuka with crumbled feta cheese and torn basil. Serve immediately and enjoy the with bread!

Joseph Labrador