Fresh ginger's superpowers. Easy to make. These are reasons why brown sugar ginger tea is my go-to home-remedy tea. This tea is great for combating flu symptoms like congestion or headaches and also for getting rid of any pain from menstrual cramps.

For such a gnarly-looking plant root, ginger has a multitude of amazing effects on your body, such as reducing inflammation of muscles that can cause muscle pain (like during period cramps). Ginger can also lower rates of infections since it can inhibit certain strains of bacterial growth, as reported by Healthline. Brown sugar is also slightly healthier than white sugar since there are no additional additives in it to preserve the sugar. This is because the process of creating brown sugar doesn't require the same ingredients. 

This healthy, home-remedy tea is not only affordable, but also has an enjoyable flavor profile: the dark caramel flavor of brown sugar combined with the spiciness of ginger creates a sharp, soothing, and complex flavor that is easy to achieve with three simple ingredients. 

Brown Sugar Ginger Tea

• 1 tablespoon brown sugar or unrefined cane sugar
  • 1 knob fresh ginger
  • 6-8 fluid ounces water
Linnet Chang

Boil water.

Linnet Chang

Slice the knob of ginger into two pieces around the size of your thumb and about two quarter-coin thickness. (It's okay to be approximate here.)
    Place ginger into the mug.

You can store the leftover ginger at room temperature for another cup of tea.

Linnet Chang

Add brown sugar into the cup with ginger.

When the water has boiled, pour it into the mug over the brown sugar and ginger.

Linnet Chang

Stir until sugar crystals have dissolved and enjoy.

Linnet Chang

Additional Thoughts On The Recipe:

The best things about this recipe are that you don't need to be exact with your measurements, and you can easily customize the ratio of ingredients to your liking. Personally, I like adding a third slice of ginger because the spiciness of ginger is a type of spiciness you can't get from any other plant. 

If you're using unrefined cane sugar, a good addition to this recipe is to throw a green tea bag in your mug. This recipe can elevate your already antioxidant-rich green tea with more flavor and nutritional benefits. You can also ice this ginger green tea mix to make it into a refreshing afternoon drink, where the green tea flavor becomes more enhanced after a few hours in the fridge.

However, if this recipe wasn't your cup of tea or if you're looking for other ways to incorporate ginger into your life, here are some other recipes that sound exciting to try: ginger infused baked grapefruit, honey ginger tea, and/or even just a plain ginger shot if you're feeling brave.

Regardless of how you choose to eat/drink it, I wish you good luck to defeating flu season with some help from your friendly, neighborhood ginger root.