There is a a slight difference between barbecuing with your friends versus your family. Your friend's grilling technique might involve waiting to flip the burgers until the next round of flip cup is over, while your little cousins drag you into their tag game when you're with the family.

Here are 10 family bbq ideas that will be refreshing and satisfying for all ages. 

1. Peach Iced Tea

sweet, cocktail, tea, lemon, iced tea, juice, lemonade, ice
Claire Waggoner

This recipe is sweet enough for the kids but has a black tea base for the adults to appreciate. Start your barbecue hydrated in order to make sure no one gets dehydrated or cranky for the entire evening. Adults can keep their own pitcher on the higher shelf if need be. 

2. Pigs in a blanket  

Mira Nguyen

Barbecues often last for hours, if not the whole day, so an essential element is the snacks. These star shaped pigs in a blanket would even leave any college student enthused by the fun shape. 

3. Grilled Watermelon

seafood, vegetable, sweet, fish, watermelon
Kathleen Lee

While the grill master is waiting for their time to shine with the main meal, throwing some watermelon onto the grill is a good way to heat things up. It is far enough away from  a normal snack, that picky siblings and adventurous adults will all want more.

4. Grilled Corn on the Cob

cilantro, cheese, grilled corn, corn on the cob, vegetable, salad, chicken, meat, tomato, pepper, corn
Julia Gilman

Corn on the cob can be a family past time itself for the way it gets in your teeth and makes for a great photo. Grilling it is just one option, but no matter how you cook it there is a time to be had while eating straight off the cob.

5. Dessert Dip

cake, cream, chocolate
Tess Kamauff

Family bbq ideas wouldn't be complete without some dessert before dinner, because barbecues are really one of the only times your parents might let it slide. Dessert dip is just as easily prepared as it is shared between everyone. 

6. Create-Your-Own Burger

sandwich
Megan Prendergast

Considering the pigs in a blanket gave everyone their hot dog fill, the next thing to include is a gooey burger that is rich in flavor, but not too funky for kids. First step is to simply grill the burger. Then, include a range of toppings, allowing both the kids and adults to get creative with what they like. 

7. Pulled Pork

bacon, bun, beef, slaw, coleslaw, sandwich, pork
Leigh Needham

Keep the burger buns out but switch it up at the same time. Pulled pork is easy to put together while being rich with flavor. It is a bit different when compared to other family bbq ideas, but it is a lovable mess of a meal. 

8. Pasta Salad

vegetable, pasta, pepper
Morgan Nielsen

Pasta salad is perfect for all ages when it combines the carbs loved by everyone with the veggies appreciated by few. Toss it on the side of a burger or in between meals for a great summer snack.

9. Hamburger Cupcakes

cookie, sandwich, chocolate, cake
Amanda Evertz

Any kid, college student, parent, or grandparent would love to have a cupcake that looks like a burger. Not only is it a bit funny, but the chocolate and vanilla flavors combine everyone's favorites into a single dessert. 

10. Hot Cocoa

coffee, cappuccino, milk, espresso, cream, chocolate, sweet, mocha, hot chocolate
Vi Tran

Not everyone will be able to enjoy a night cap, so the best thing to do is to not leave everyone out. While hot chocolate isn't typically the first thing to come to mind, that summer chill that creeps up at the end of the night will leave everyone wanting to stay warm so that the bbq can keep going.

You may just be popping home for a bbq night with the family, or there may be a summer full of family bbq ideas in your future, but the entire family ought to be pleased with anything that has to do with family fun and food.