When I was diagnosed with IBS, I had to cut out a lot of food from my diet so that I wouldn't get unwell. It was such a struggle to find cheap and tasty foods so this is why I was so pleased to discover this fish pie recipe. I was able to have a heart-warming treat and still feel healthy at the same time. This recipe is ideal for anyone else who suffers from this problem but also those who are looking to try a healthier version of their favourite comfort food.This fish pie makes so much that you won't have to worry about dinner for the rest of the week. Personally, I am not the biggest fan of cauliflower so I was surprised to find the mash so delicious. The coconut is an excellent addition to this fish pie which keeps the dish light and, doesn't overpower the other more subtle flavours. The vegan cheese is optional as it is fairly pricy but as someone who is dairy intolerant it is worth it to get your cheese fix. Those of you in the same boat as me will know exactly what I mean.

If you are looking for more healthy comfort food recipes check them out here. 

Fish Pie with Cauliflower Mash

• 500g mixed fish
  • 2 handfuls cooked large prawns
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 head cauliflower
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 1 leek thinly sliced
  • 2 stalks celery thinly slices
  • 2 cloves garlic crushed
  • 1/2 fresh red chilli chopped
  • 1 handful baby spinach
  • 1 handful cherry tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon coconut yoghurt
  • 100g Violife Prosociano dairy free cheese
  • Chopped parsley
Alexandra Clark

Place the fish in a saucepan with the bay leaves and the coconut milk.

Poach for around 8 minutes, then add the prawns and cook for another 2 minutes until just cooked through.

While the fish is poaching, boil 3/4 of the cauliflower cut into florets in salted water until tender.

Alexandra Clark

Drain and blend until creamy with 1 tbsp of coconut yoghurt and plenty of salt and pepper. Set to one side.

Alexandra Clark

Remove the fish and prawns from the coconut milk and place into a small oven-proof casserole dish.

Alexandra Clark

Add the remaining cauliflower to the coconut milk and cook until tender.

While the cauliflower is cooking, melt the coconut oil and cook the celery, garlic, leek and chilli until soft.

Alexandra Clark

Add into the casserole dish with the spinach and tomatoes.

Alexandra Clark

Once the cauliflower is cooked, blend and season with salt and pepper.

Spoon the creamy cauliflower sauce over the fish pie mixture, ensuring that everything is well covered.

Alexandra Clark

Top with the cauliflower mash, again ensuring that everything is covered.

Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

Turn on your grill, grate the Violife cheese over the top and cook for a further 5 minutes until lightly golden.

Alexandra Clark

Sprinkle parsley over the top for garnish.

Alexandra Clark

If you are looking for more healthy comfort food recipes check out this article