Sometimes I just want to sit in front of Netflix and eat boxes of takeout while I binge-watch. Recently, however, I've begun making Chinese-inspired dishes in my dorm kitchen. I've discovered a few quick and easy recipes that I can turn to when I'm craving takeout. Homemade is truly tastier and often more affordable. I encourage you to ditch the kung pao and orange chicken and try one of these quick Chinese food recipes that are way better than takeout.

1. Authentic Chinese Dumplings

chicken, garlic, sauce
Monica Cheng

Dumplings are filling and are the perfect appetizer. If you have a little time on your hands, make a batch of them for a cozy night in. Whatever you do, don't forget the soy sauce. 

2. Egg Drop Soup

rice, soup, pasta, vermicelli
Vickie Nguyen

Get some healthy protein with this egg drop soup. You literally drop some beaten egg into hot broth and stir it up. This creates silky ribbons of egg in the soup. It's the perfect treat for a cold winter night. 

3. Lo Mein

pasta, spaghetti, sauce
Haya Qureini

These noodles are super easy to prepare. You can even grab some veggies from the salad bar to save time and toss them in the mix. Who needs takeout when you can be slurping homemade lo mein in only 20 minutes?

4. Mixed Vegetable Tofu Stir-Fry

vegetable, broccoli, chicken, rice, stir-fry, pepper, meat
Katherine Baker

Even if you're not vegetarian, you can still enjoy some soft tofu mixed with tons of fresh veggies. This stir fry only requires one pan and as many ingredients as you'd like. It's so much quicker than ordering in. 

5. Fried Rice

rice, fried rice, chicken, brown rice, vegetable
Jonathan Lim

Take your leftover rice and make some fried rice on any day of the week. Fried rice is quick, easy, and versatile. I love to serve mine with lots of Sriracha. 

6. Chinese Scrambled Eggs

salsa, tomato
Nancy Chen

These Chinese scrambled eggs are super simple but pack a ton of flavor. The tomatoes make the eggs seem 10x fancier. Plus, you probably already have most of these ingredients on hand. 

7. Pork Noodle Stir Fry

pasta, spaghetti, pork
Kirby Barth

This flavorful pork stir fry will come together in no time and will impress all of your friends. It is super flavorful and you can make it as spicy as you'd like. If you don't have noodles, substitute some Minute Rice.

8. Lettuce Wraps

salad, lettuce, vegetable, spinach
Angela Pizzimenti

I personally love the lettuce wraps at P.F. Chang's, but they're super easy to make at home. They're healthy and make the perfect appetizer or light dinner. I normally use ground chicken for the filling, but you can use tofu, turkey, or even just a veggie medley. 

9. Golden Balls

sweet, cereal, chocolate, candy
Wendy Zhou

These golden balls (or Jian Dui) are often served with tea at dim sum restaurants and at Chinese New Year celebrations. I absolutely love them because they're sweet and warm. You may need a few unfamiliar ingredients, like red bean paste and rice flour, but they're totally worth the effort.

10. Crab Rangoon

french fries
Ashly Kim

Crab rangoon are crispy and fried, making them the perfect party snack. All you need are a few simple ingredients. This appetizer can be served in only 20 minutes, and your guests will thank you.

11. General Tso's Chicken

curry, shrimp, chicken, rice, broccoli, Dumplings, Sesame
Casey Twomey

General Tso's chicken is one of the most popular Chinese takeout dishes. But why not just make it yourself with a quick and easy recipe? This chicken is perfectly crispy and flavorful.

12. Spring Rolls

pastry, sweet, bread, dough
Jessica Chu

Spring rolls are one of my favorite Chinese appetizers. They are quick and simple to make at home. Impress your friends and make a bunch of them for a night in.

13. Peanut Noodle Salad

pasta, vegetable, spaghetti
Alex Frank

This peanut noodle salad is light, fresh, and just irresistible. You don't even have to have Chinese noodles, you can use plain instant Ramen or even spaghetti.

14. Siu Mai

dumpling, tortellini, ravioli, pasta, dough, meat
Weichen Yan

Siu Mai or (Shumai) Chinese dumplings are often served as an appetizer at dim sum restaurants. You can use store-bought wonton wrappers and they'll be ready in less than an hour. You can fill them with any meat or veggies that you desire.

15. Fortune Cookies

dough, pastry, sweet, muffin
Abigail Shipps

Fortune cookies often come with your takeout meal and are eaten for dessert. They can be a tricky to make, so ask your friends to help you out. You can even write each other's fortunes. Good luck!

Chinese takeout can get a bit pricey, fatty, and boring. But not to worry, you can ditch the kung pao and still say "wow" with these irresistible Chinese food recipes.