Arguably the most important meal of the day, eating breakfast could be the difference between an average day and a stellar life changing day. But faced with the difficult decision of catching a couple extra zzzzz's or eating breakfast, the majority of students would choose the former. Meal prep is all the rage for bodybuilders, busy families, and university students alike. If you're interested in meal prepping but aren't sure where to start, try one of these 15 insanely easy (and delicious!) breakfast meal prep ideas. 

1. Pre-Portioned Smoothies

salad
Rachel Eng

Since beginning university, smoothies have been my go-to breakfast. They take literally zero effort to blend in the mornings and are 100% customizable. Smoothies can reduce the amount of food waste you produce since they use up those mushy bananas and wilted kale.

By meal prepping smoothies can save you even more time in the morning. Chop your fruit and veggies the night before and store in a freezer safe bag. Add in your "extras" (hemp seeds, chia seeds, powdered PB, protein powder, cinnamon, etc.) as well. In the morning, all you have to do is dump the contents into your blender and add your liquid of choice. Personally, I'd recommend coconut water.

2. Breakfast Cookies

Avoid the mid-morning sugar crash by making your own healthy breakfast meal prep cookies. By sticking with no-bake recipes, you can save even more time during meal prep. Make sure to keep your serving size reasonable! If you make jumbo cookies, stick to just one. Pair your favourite cookie with a protein source like Greek yogurt, soy milk, or cottage cheese. 

Another strategy—one I use quite frequently—is to simply throw your favourite ingredients in a bowl and hope for the best. If there are oats and chocolate chips, it's guaranteed to taste great. 

3. Mini Muffins and a Hardboiled Egg

pastry, chocolate, sweet, cake
Elise Fegler

Muffins get a bad wrap due to their high sugar content, lack of fiber, empty calories, and unhealthy fats. However, this problem is easily solved by making homemade muffins instead of stopping by Starbucks when you're running late.  And honestly, everything is cuter when it's mini.

The key to having a breakfast that keeps you full and satisfied is to include all three macronutrients: carbs, proteins, and fats. Up the protein content by pairing a mini muffin or two with a hardboiled egg and a glass of milk for a balanced breakfast. 

4. Cinnamon Bun Baked Oatmeal 

Breakfast meal prep oatmeal? Totally. Unlike traditional oatmeal that is liquidy and runny, baked oatmeal is like a warm and soft granola bar. Freeze the leftovers and heat in the microwave for two minutes in the morning. Paired with a glass of vanilla soy milk and a banana, this meal will keep you fuelled all morning.

5. Breakfast Bowls

Fancy a more traditional eggs and potatoes breakfast? Meal prep breakfast bowls will be your new favourite. Start by roasting your favourite potatoes with olive oil, green peppers, onion, salt, and pepper. While those are cooking, make a huge batch of scrambled eggs. Divide eggs and potatoes into containers and top with shredded cheese.

Vegan? Swap the eggs for scrambled tofu and beans and sprinkle with nutritional yeast. Lactose Intolerant? Skip the dairy cheese and add a dairy-free alternative. Love meat? Sprinkle some bacon on top.

#SpoonTip: Cook your eggs until they are barely cooked through. When you re-heat them, they will finish cooking as opposed to being rubbery.

6. Fruit, Yogurt, and Granola Parfait

yogurt, milk, sweet, berry, strawberry, cream, dairy, muesli, blueberry, granola, mint, dairy product, frozen yogurt
Jenny Mun

The trick to this parfait recipe is keeping the granola and yogurt separate until just before eating. Otherwise, the granola will go soggy, and no one likes soggy granola.

In a mason jar, add 3/4 cup unsweetened Greek yogurt or a vegan alternative. Next, add your favourite combination of fruit. Bananas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, mango, and kiwi would work well. In a separate container add 1/2 a cup of granola (bonus points if you make your own!), cereal, or muesli. Mix together in the morning for an easy breakfast that is both portable and delicious.

#SpoonTip: Use fresh fruit with yogurt parfaits that will be eaten within three days. If they will be sitting longer, stick to dried fruit like cherries, cranberries, raisins, or blueberries. 

7. Healthy Breakfast Burrito 

Burritos aren't just for lunch and dinner anymore. Start with a whole wheat tortilla base for some complex carbohydrates. In a skillet, heat onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Filling possibilities are endless. Try tofu cooked with turmeric and cumin instead of eggs, and add avocado, diced tomato, spinach, and vegan cheese for a delicious vegan breakfast meal prep idea. Or stick with scrambled eggs, bacon, cheddar cheese, and hot sauce. Try a combination of black bean spread, sweet potato, and eggs for a more creative approach.

Whatever combination you create, wrap the tortilla in aluminium foil, cut in half, and freeze individually in a plastic bag. In the morning, warm up your burrito for 5 minutes and accompany with a glass of milk and apple slices.

8. Cereal Bars

Cereal is the OG childhood breakfast food. Give it an upgrade by adding in some chocolate chips and peanut butter for a convenient and portable breakfast. Slice the cereal bars and store in an airtight container with apple slices and a container of Greek yogurt.

9. Homemade Breakfast Sandwiches

cheddar, sandwich, egg, ham, cheese
Evan Caligor

English muffin + scrambled eggs + bacon + cheese = instant happiness. Wrap the breakfast sandwiches in aluminum foil and freeze until needed. They take just two minutes to re-heat in the microwave (just don't reheat them with the foil still on them!).

10. Mini Pancakes 

chocolate, cake, berry, pastry, pancake, sweet, blueberry, syrup
Alex Frank

I love pancakes as much as the next person, but I can't stand day-old floppy pancakes. My family's trick to crispy re-heated pancakes is to pop them in the toaster oven or toaster for a couple of minutes. If frozen, take the pancakes out the night before to speed up the defrosting process. 

To keep this meal balanced and not too carb-heavy, portion these mini pancakes (or your favourite pancake recipe) into containers of four. In the morning, top with almond butter, raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries and a glass of milk.

11. Banana Bread Waffles

coffee, pastry, cookie, cream, cake, chocolate, sweet, waffle
Jillian Rogers

Waffles are my absolute favourite breakfast. I went through an Eggo Waffle phase as a child, but nothing compares to homemade waffles. This banana waffles recipe uses up leftover bananas and is suitable for vegans and celiacs alike. Make a jumbo batch, freeze the leftovers, and pop 'em in the toaster or toaster oven for a couple of minutes. Slather one side with peanut butter, add some banana coins, and fold together for a waffle sandwich.  

12. Egg Muffins 

These egg muffins are the perfect way to clean out a fridge filled with odds and ends. Starting with a base of eggs, salt, and pepper. Next, throw in some shredded cheese, quinoa, onion, broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, spinach, or mushrooms cut up really small. Add your fillings to the egg mixture, pour into greased muffin tins, bake, and voila! Pack two to three "muffins" in an airtight container along with apple or orange slices. 

13. Chia Seed Pudding

smoothie, sweet, dairy product, yogurt, cream, milk
Katherine Baker

Not an overnight oatmeal fan? No worries. Try some chia seed pudding instead. Portion out a quarter cup of chia seeds into a mason jar along with blueberries, blackberries, strawberries,  cinnamon, powdered peanut butter, cocoa powder, chocolate chips or whatever your hear desires. The night before, add half a cup of your milk of choice and let the chia seeds absorb the moisture over night. 

14. Instant Oatmeal Cups

yogurt
Annie Lee

Oatmeal is the holy grail of all breakfast foods. Filled with fiber and protein, you just can't go wrong with a bowl of oats. The problem with packaged varieties is that they are insanely high in added sugar. If you aren't a fan of overnight oats, consider making personal instant oatmeal cups instead.

In a mason jar, add your oats and other dry ingredients. Combinations like apple raisin, powdered peanut butter chocolate chips, or cranberry orange would work perfectly. Store the jars in the pantry until needed. In the morning, add hot water or milk and let your oats sit for five minutes.

15. Breakfast Quesadillas

Tired of traditional breakfast foods? Don't limit yourself to scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese. Try making breakfast quesadillas with sweet potato, black beans, scrambled tofu, or stir-fried veggies. They freeze beautifully and can be heated up in the microwave for breakfast. Like the mini-pancakes, stick them in the toaster oven for a couple of minutes if you prefer your tortillas on the crispier side. 

Breakfast doesn't have to be a struggle. Hopefully these breakfast meal prep recipes will inspire you to look beyond the cereal and toast and into the convenient world of meal prep.